Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, December 26, 2008

Dreaming of the cabin again

snowy cabin


There are the wish-I-could-have-it dreams and the nighttime-who-knows-what-it-means dreams. This cabin represents the former-- the daydreams where we visualize a life we would like but perhaps never will have.

Although I frequently dream of houses, interesting, sometimes interesting ones (last month I climbed some stairs to an attic where there were many dollhouses, interesting, elaborate and fully furnished dollhouses), I have never had a nighttime dream of this cabin. I have dreamed of houses at the beach with fantastic views, mansions, homes that were inns, houses with many rooms, sometimes one hidden room after another, but never this cabin. It's my fantasy home and only comes to me in daydreams.

I can imagine what is around it, the valley where it sits, the cattle down by the river off in the distance, the quiet that settles in at night. I know what it looks like once I walk inside the door. There is a fire in a big stone fireplace. The kitchen is small but effective where I can cook a delicious dinner while sipping a glass of Merlot. In front of that fireplace is a big fluffy rug where a person can sit or lie and watch the fire. In one corner is an easel for my painting. The master bedroom is upstairs (with a second bathroom-- even in daydreams I am somewhat practical.)

For awhile I looked for this cabin with the hope it was meant to be in my life. Real estate agents have shown me many places but nothing was ever it. When the house was right, the surroundings were wrong. It takes a small house on a good piece of land.

I finally have faced it that my cabin is not meant to be reality but is just a daydream where I can go when I need to escape.

7 comments:

Dick said...

I would guess that your daydream cabin is a mentally created best of everything you have experienced. While there are many individual things there that you have or have seen in other places, your mind has drawn them all together to make the one perfect place. You might be able to build such a place but I think you will find that your "ideal" place will be continuously changing as you discover other new things you'd like to have included. It is sort of like buying the perfect computer. Not possible but still fun to dream about.

I kind of like mine to have wheels as sometimes I want it to be in the desert, sometimes along a mountain lake and at other times on the ocean shore. Occasionally it is even fun to have it at a touristy type place. The RV gives me those options.

Kay Dennison said...

I don't remember dreams very often. They say you can train yourself to do that. I shudder to think what some of the dreams I've had were about that wake me during the night.

This seems like a pleasant one -- it's a nice little place.

Rain Trueax said...

I should have added that the little cabin is from a computer painting I did awhile back. The snow falling came from Joy's blog (link in blogroll) last year and one of the only places that I have found where you can create like a glass globe effect. I have tried to photograph snow falling but mine never show the flakes. There might be a method but I have yet to discover it. This comes the closest and the link below the painting takes you to where you can create your own.

Allan Erickson said...

oh. that cabin... that looks like Jawbone Flats, cabin 6... seriously... Opal Creek in the snow must be as idyllic as it gets. I imagine they've received a good dose of snow these last couple of weeks.

... and about the only way I know to catch snow flake pics is w/ flash.

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to wish you a very Merry Christmas, one day late.
Love your cabin. You know, I couldn't help but think as I read this, "be careful what you wish for." Sometimes daydreams are better left exactly that. At least we can't be disappointed that way. But it would be amazing if you were to ever find it, both the cabin and the setting.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Lonely Rivers said...

Hello,
I've been checking in on you beautiful blog for a short time and have been moved to let you know how much I appreciate your writing and photography. I, too, have long dreamed of a special place - mine overlooking water. In my mind I move the furniture around like a virtual dollhouse...and sometimes I even change the view...somehow I can also hear music playing, smell good things in the kitchen, and listen in on the happy conversations! Thanks for sharing.

donna said...

Mine is the golden ranch by the big pond in the mountains with the fields all around where the golden retrievers run and play... I raise and train goldens as service and companion dogs. Who knows if I'll ever get there..