Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas cards

Choosing Christmas cards with care has always been one of my things. Sometimes their message has been religious, sometimes nature oriented, and others, like this year are about country life. I almost never buy them a year ahead, even knowing I'd save money, because I might not feel that card when the time came (or more likely, I'd have forgotten where I stuck the boxes).

Unfortunately this year, although I bought cards I liked at our farm store (created by Leanin' Tree), I felt no corresponding enthusiasm when the time came to write them... and then passed the time to send them. Some of that I can blame on an early December bronchial cold that made it no fun for a week and a half; but I've had other years where I just couldn't convince myself to sit down and write cards (this even with doing the addresses with computer labels).

Since I have owned a computer, I have sent Christmas letters along with the cards-- until this year. It wasn't a shortage of photographs or good things to write about. Frankly I just didn't feel like doing it. A month ago I decided I would include a family picture from July which possibly distant family and friends would like better anyway (justification in full swing). Not doing a Christmas letter actually meant more work. I'd have to write more than our names on them. Good Lord, do I even remember how to write letters anymore? You can see how this has been going.

These are this year's cards-- so pretend you just got whichever you prefer (hopefully a few on our list will also). The messages were similar but this was my favorite.

Wherever we may journey and however far we roam,
in this joyful, blessed season, our hearts always head home.

For waiting at the trail's end we know we're sure to find

the warmth of hearth and family and friends that come to mind.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

8 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

I'm one of those people who always read the messages in cards and I really like this one.

I rarely write letters anymore. I used to send a lot of e-cards but mostly I just post a greeting on my blog.

Am I lazy? Probably. Do I worry about it? For a minute or two maybe.

Sylvia K said...

I have to agree with Kay totally -- I don't write letters anymore, I will post a card on my blog, I have sent a few cards to those who don't have or use computers. Lazy??? Worry?? maybe a minute or two -- MAYBE!

But a lovely holiday season to you!

robin andrea said...

Beautiful card, rain. I like the scenery and the sentiment. Wishing you and yours a lovely holiday season.

Dick said...

I like most of the Leaning Tree cards and I especially like that first one. I keep thinking that Christmas cards should have a religious theme but when you get down to it, Mother Nature is also a good religious theme. Some of those cards would make a very nice picture in a larger size to frame and hang on the wall.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours, too.

Anonymous said...

Write a letter? What's that? My mother was probably the last to receive a hand-written letter from me...and...she's been dead for 15 years!
Cop Car
P.S. I always liked the Leanin' Tree cards.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Beautiful Rain....! I understand your feelings about Christmas this year....Somehow it has been really hard to work up a lot of enthusiasm.....I think it is the wretched state of the world and our country..for one. The A-moral people who are robbing the Rich who are Rich themselves; the lying politicians trying to sell everyone everything....So, I keep going back to "nature", the way you do, too. There is something so very pure about 'nature', so very sweet and simple and direct and clean. No one is cheating anyone. All are just trying to survive.....I guess one could say that this is true of all the swindling people, too...BUT, not in my book!

Anyway.....I wish you the Merriest Of Christmases and a truly Amazing Joyous 2009, my dear Rain....! I love those cards!

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Rain, I can so identify with what you said about cards. I didn't buy mine until Thursday and I did write a newsletter and print out the requisite number of copies and the labels. But have I done anything? I may just put up a PDF of the newsletter and leave it at that. I like the card best of the two horses, man and Christmas tree.

I assume you continue to be snowed upon. My 85 year old sis in Tumwater is beside herself; she hasn't been out of her house since Tues. and she is going stir crazy. She's so frail now and she says it is very icy. I saw the bridge in Portland on CNN and all the snow. It's 23 in Pt. Angeles tonight and still snowing lightly.

Thinking of you.

Ugich Konitari said...

Rain,

There is an award waiting for you Here .... Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year