Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, November 15, 2008

Our Truth

'Touchstones of Eternity' painting © 1991 Rob Schouten

"Are you living your truth? Your being is like a spirit lodge. Within this sacred place is your realization and the divine light of your creation. Live in your spirit lodge surrounded by peace and joy. Outside your lodge is the great wilderness where the rest of the world lives. That wilderness can become a battleground stained with the blood of ignorance and earthly pain. To have lasting power in the world, you must earn the trust of those around you. Most people live without a sacred place within, without a spirit lodge, and they do not know how to enter the spirit lodges of others." Lynn V. Andrews from 'The Power Deck'

[More of Rob's art can be seen at Rob Schouten Gallery
& learn more about Lynn Andrews at Lynn Andrews.]

This is the last of the cards from the Power Deck that I will share for now. It is a beautiful deck with powerful thoughts, and I may later bring forth more if they seem appropriate. This one about truth seeming especially important after such a difficult political season.

We can only do our best to know truth as it rings true for us. We can be wrong but fearing speaking truth cannot wait until we are positive, certain beyond any possibility of future changes. There is a difference between being wrong and speaking a lie. There is also the possibility of sticking to a truth after we long know it's wrong simply because we can't admit that to anyone-- including ourselves. Living our own truth means just that.

Fran, at Sacred Ordinary, creates these kind of cards, using symbols that have meaning for her life. She sometimes shares them: Soul collage blogs on Sacred Ordinary. The cards are always interesting and her explanations for the inspiration behind them well worth your looking through them.

Awhile back (was it a year or two?) because of having heard about creating such cards from Fran, I bought a book called 'Soul Collage' by Seena B. Frost about how to make personal decks using collage. I found some photographs and bought the materials to make decks; then put the whole process aside, but this winter seems like a good time to bring it all back out.

I was familiar with the general process having done soul collages for my walls. In 2001, 2002 and 2003, I created one a year illustrating what I wanted to manifest in my life. What was my truth for me? The one outside, inside or the one I had yet to create?

Because the last one (which I am sharing below) seemed to say it all for awhile, it was my spirit lodge, I didn't see a need to create a new one-- although am considering it for this year. Am I still the same woman I was in 2003? Have my dreams shifted? It might be interesting to see which images resonate with me today if I did put together a new board.

To create such soul boards (or cards), you look through magazines, catalogs, or your own photographs to see which images touch you. A talented artist could draw and paint one. The boards are created to help focus and manifest dreams into reality. I think all such tools are beneficial for growing, giving us more ability to hear our inner voice when so much around is creating a distracting buzz.
My collage from 2003 which is framed, under glass, and hangs next to my desk. Enlarge to see the tiny images better. All came from magazines, not my photographs, and are about my dreams and inner self in that year.

7 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Touchstones of Eternity reminds me of Easter Island. That was my first impression. The power of the moon is total. I am dense but I don't see the connection of earning trust here. I would like to paint how earning trust is possible. Your soul collage is dramatic and beautiful.

Rain Trueax said...

Well the artist named it Touchstones of Eternity, which represents the past. Perhaps Andrews saw it as the symbols we put together to reach out to the other side or find spiritual alignment with the figure walking toward the old ones from today. It could also be Celtic as besides Stonehenge, there are other places with those upright stones. I have a few of them here at the farm which I placed through the years and would have more big ones if they weren't so expensive :)

Sylvia K said...

Lovely post, as always and your collage is beautiful. I think during times like these it is important for us to focus on what is really important in our lives and in the lives of our families. It is far too easy to get totally distracted by the things outside ourselves that we have little control over, but we can focus on the inner person and that's where we can make changes that can and will make dealing with the "now" not only easier, but more gratifying.

Darlene said...

Your soul collage is really colorful and most attractive. I note that horses seem to be prominent in your collage. Do you ride, or is this a desire?

Touchstones of eternity is intriguing. I like it.

Rain Trueax said...

I have ridden some but not enough to do it well; so it's more of a desire. I think also horse symbolize a freedom of grace, strength and power that I admire. So kind of spirit symbols.

joared said...

Your soul collage is intriguing and thought provoking as are Schouten's paintings.

Liked your descriptions of the various political figures in an earlier post.

I'm sure there will continue to be political matters to capture your attention come the new year with new legislative bodies and administration.

Anonymous said...

Loved your collage and I did enlarge it to see it more clearly. I'd love to do something like this. I like the concept of it. But my time is very limited right now.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net