Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ecstasy

[The next three blogs will be from The Power Deck, Cards of Wisdom by Lynn V. Andrews. They are sort of like Tarot cards but with a different approach, the idea being that you can use them for a reading or simply an inspiration for the day.]

Since I have enjoyed Lynn Andrews books, liked the illustration on the cover of this deck, and they were discounted as is everything in my favorite Missoula bookstore, I bought the box which included cards and a small book. Each card has a spiritual illustration and words to inspire. The idea is to choose one a day or in the case of this blog, I pulled out three to share-- one after the other.

This first one, with old woman, waterfall, moon, stones, and words particularly spoke to my life right now and how nature impacts me. The painting, Rapture, is by the artist Rob Schouten © 1991 (his gallery is on Whidbey Island, more information can be found online at Rob Schouten Gallery).

To me, Rob's painting illustrates the feeling of rapture I can feel when I am out in nature. The experience is so much more than its elements, more than any photograph can share. It is what I try to explain sometimes here in the blog as when I was at the wildlife preserve hearing the geese, or like the waterfall, or listening to the crash of the waves at the beach.

There are times, and they don't come all the time, but when the experience of earth seems to overwhelm me with a surge seemingly filling my whole body with joy, and yes, ecstasy best describes the feeling. It happens when you take time, when you let yourself connect. Nature can, when we let it, renew our spirit, ground us to the earth which nourishes and from which we came.

"Ecstasy is a buoyant state of joy. One of the finest ways to maintain a state of joyousness is to examine the dark side of your being, that instinctual nature that most human beings repress in civilized life. Within your instinctual nature are the seeds of ecstasy. We tend to live in our minds, in our emotions, occasionally in spirit, and almost never in our instinctual depths. We are born as wild as mountain lions but live most of our lives like sheep, forgetting and denying whole parts of ourselves. Sit on the earth with your back against a tree, and get in touch with your roots, which move deep into middle earth; this will restore your joyousness and balance. Each day, listen to your body-mind and your heart. What are they telling you about a given situation? Ecstasy is like a windhorse waiting to be ridden-- the last wild ride before your passage into enlightenment. Take courage and live your passion in ecstasy."
Lynn V. Andrews from The Power Deck

9 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Beautiful post! and so true! It is easy to forget the joy that nature and getting in touch with that inner part of yourseelf can induce. Thanks for the reminder, it's easy to slip back into the dark side.

Darlene said...

There is something indescribable that happens to us when we are alone in a beautiful natural setting. For me, it happens when I am in the mountains looking at a glorious scene and the thought always comes to mind, "Lift thine eyes unto the hills, from whence commeth thy strength."

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Ecstasy is one wonderful way to see the card. But thais not what I get from it. I am very taken by the image idea on the card but I am not sure I read all the rocks properly. The rocks that are less defined than female figures are male or just rocks? And why are the rocks in the foreground flat. I am sorry that I am so critical but I am a painter of waterfalls and a little jealous that I have not painted adult nudes in a falls like this. I did paint my one year old like this. Much more playful, complete innocence. Here it is suppose to be sensual, spiritual connection with nature. An interesting combo.
Now the addition of the moon doesn't connect immediately with me but maybe that is the work of the viewer to decide how it connects with them. The moon is about hunting at night, hunting for the meaning of life. It is about reflection of truth that we can know.

Rain Trueax said...

Interesting critique, parapluie. I think that's great to question. The moon in one shape or another is in almost all of these cards and perhaps it represents the shadow side. I don't think there are meant to be masculine shapes but this is all about the female form although definitely the one cliff does look masculine, I agree. It's definitely fantasy whatever it all means. And Rapture is what he called it.

Rain Trueax said...

oh yes and the foreground looks like the small waterfalls surrounding one of the geysers in Yellowstone Park which may not be the artist's inspiration. Neat ideas you bring up

Kay Dennison said...

I've been imprisoned in the city too long and this card reminded me. It overwhelmed me.

Anonymous said...

Release yourself,
A bird soaring
High Above.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Finding rapture and ecstasy in our natural state is healthy and good. Allowing yourself to be what you are and open.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I am inspired by both of these posts, Rain, and look forward to the next post. Beautiful deck.