Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, September 19, 2008

Political Roots


Recently I heard a book being discussed about how something in our DNA might determine if we are Republicans or Democrats. I don't know about that, but I think it is impacted by our family histories which could turn us one way or the other.

My family is Democrat. At least on one side of the family, we have been for as far back as I know. My folks were union people who often argued about unions as well as a lot of the other political ideas that would seem to be currently impacting their lives. Sunday family dinners, often ended with loud and heated (but never obscene) discussions about any and all political issues. It was the dads and uncles mostly. They could sometimes get quite angry with each other but never to the point of physical attacks. I remember them sitting back in their chairs, their dinners digesting, and going at each other on where the country was going wrong. That all might end with a nap in those same chairs.

After my mother had died and I went through her things, I found the above letter. She had kept it, proud of receiving a reply from her representative. I treasure it as an indicator of who my mother was as a person, her passion, her concerns. She and I didn't always agree politically either, but she cared and she was informed. She voted proudly to the end of her life.

My first vote for a president was in 1964 when I was 22. When I was 21, I had registered as soon as it was possible. I have voted Republican and Democrat but mostly Democrat. There are times I have been unhappy at both choices but I have always voted.

My children registered as soon as they could which was 18 for them. The ladies down at the polling places thought it was so cute as they had watched them grow up and then take their places as adults to make decisions impacting the country. How can anyone not vote?

Whenever we are all together, we discuss politics, sometimes heatedly though we all mostly agree on the main issues. I have been told that politics and religion are not to be discussed in polite gatherings. I know nothing about that thinking from my own experience.

So I have strong views on the candidates and the many issues facing our country which I will be expressing over the next 47 days. I will be happy to post alternate viewpoints from others. I will try to have links, some reasons why I feel as I do as for me politics is about issues. No candidate always agrees with all that I think should be done, but the one coming closest, if their character seems strong, they will be who will get my vote.

Through the years, I have had many of my friends say-- well it's just your opinion (these are friends, who usually are disagreeing with me). Yep, it is my opinion and I express it freely and sometimes passionately because it's how I grew up seeing it should be; but I do try to keep it to what the issue is, not tear into someone else by implying (or saying) they are inferior as humans for how they see it (even if I might sometimes wonder).

Comments here are much appreciated as only through comments can a blog have meaningful dialogue. Having been to other sites and seen how nasty it can get, if it's required, I will exercise censorship to protect this site from pointless venom-- something that has not happened here to date.

It is possible to passionately discuss politics and not become defamatory. It is possible to totally disagree with someone politically and still love them. What ruins meaningful dialogue is when one begins to berate another personally.

It is a passionate time and we feel it strongly in this country. We have been pretty evenly divided about it also. It won't surprise me if this election goes right down to the wire as have the last two.

If politics are a turn-off to you, if you come from another country, I will be inserting photos (usually of scenery and probably a lot from the Yellowstone region) into these discussions to make them more enjoyable for others and myself; but if that isn't enough, well come back and see me in November when I can get back to things I enjoy writing about a lot more than politics. The thing is, it's too important right now to not try to do what I can to inform and do my part in trying to get us all to think about where we have been and where we believe we need to head.

Photo 1 is from many years ago of one of those after dinner naps-- my father, an uncle, and their two sons having some fun with it. I took the photo with my Brownie.

Photo 2 is me, Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire this last week-end. Clearly I am talking (and I never like photos of me talking but this one seemed to be about passionate discussions. I have no idea what we were discussing but politics did come up a lot during the morning there.

6 comments:

robin andrea said...

I grew up in a house of liberal democrats, with an extended family of liberal democrats. Politics was always a topic of discussion at the dinner table and at big family gatherings. I don't know what it's like to not talk politics. Heated, passionate, thoughtful, and heartfelt discussions. It's our government, I think it's our responsibility to take it seriously and talk about it. I'm so glad that you do too. Keep talking, rain!

Linda said...

I enjoyed this post. My parents were Democrats and so is my family. In fact, I am so passionate about it I will not consider voting Republican, unless it's at the local level. Even state level I vote by party.

Currently I'm reading a history of the GOP trying to understand that party. I've not known good Republican role models, although I'm sure there are many. My only exposure has been the far right religious side of the party and Republicans in Texas. I hope I will feel more positive about the party when I finish this book, "Grand Old Party" by Lewis L. Gould.

The part I do not understand is the religious component. The evangelicals have flocked to the Republican party. They consider themselves to be New Testament Christians which I think means they believe Jesus came to replace the law and we are saved by grace and our belief in Jesus Christ and His teachings. At least that's what it meant in my days as a Texas evangelical. But I can see nothing in the Republican party's plank that matches that. Why are they drawn to this party?

It seems to me they want to live by the law (as they interpret it). I see no grace in these people, only the law. That's not the New Testament teaching they claim to follow. I'm very serious in my search to reconcile this.

I do believe our basic personality drives us one way or the other. I guess you could say I believe we come hard wired to be more drawn to one side or the other. Informed voters can work around that, uninformed voters cannot.

Keep writing and perhaps I'll see things I've not seen to this point.

Mary Lou said...

My father was a Democrat and my Mother voted both ways, and I married into a family of hotheaded republicans, and worked for the Government for 37 years, so I voted mostly Republican also, HOWEVER, as I stated on MY blog, My SHAME has been redeemed, I have been SAVED!!! I now sport an OBAMA sticker on my back bumper! ;)

and I soooo appreciate the non-venom comments, but differing opinions that your blog has always put forth! I remember when you were gonna quit blogging several years ago, and I was heartbroken..THANK GOODNESS you decided to stay and write!!

You are a class act!

Donna said...

I'm with you...Why can't people just...talk!!! Happy day sweetie!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

The picture of you walking and talking at the same time is so much you. I love it.
And I am happy that you continue to write. I am not sure I was effective going neighbor to neighbor. I am an artist and I believe we should contribute in the best way we can.

Rain Trueax said...

Thanks to everyone for their comments and Mary Lou, what a lovely compliment for you to pay me. Class Act. You made my day *s*