Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, September 26, 2008

Debate number one

I had written the blog for tomorrow before the debate but thought I'd write something here about how I saw the Obama McCain debate. Listening to pundits dissect it leaves me wondering what they saw. For me, since I liked Barack Obama to begin, it enhanced my belief he's the right man to be president in 2009.

McCain constantly looked to the past. While I see value in learning from history, I agree with something Obama said earlier. If we can't find new ways out of our problems, we are doomed to repeat them. It is through strengthening this country and our young people, education and restoring our infrastructure that we can make ourselves strong again. Obama focused on the future and on what we must do to make ourselves strong in this 21st Century.

People who liked McCain will like what he said. Pundits on MSNBC saw McCain as doing better for reasons that have nothing to do with the issues like that he was more emotional. This might win with Americans for all I know since so many people seem to vote on things other than real ideas and issues. I think many of them, like me, were predisposed to see their candidate win. That's how pundits are these days.

McCain had the ads already printed saying that he won. I hope Americans watched this and judged it for themselves, not like an American Idol contest but like whose ideas had traction for the problems we face.

To me McCain lost the debate because he isn't the right man with the right ideas for the future. His biggest example of that will be discussed tomorrow morning in my blog on Sarah Palin.

10 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I think they both won in the sense that they both presented who they are with calmness so we could follow their presentation. Only once near the end did McCain interupt Obama so he could not make his point. So Obama smiled and requested the next question. Every time I see Obama in a new situation, I am impressed by his leadership skill.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I agree with Parapluie. I watched the debate and one hour of CNN analysts afterwards, but I saw them as neck in neck. Now, I'm already voting for Obama; I'm anxious to see how the undecided folks reacted.

I hate ageism, and I am one year younger than John McCain, so when he is criticized as being over the hill, I take it personally. But, then I think about where I am in my life and wonder why in the hell someone who has limited time left would want to subject himself to the rigors of campaigning and the presidency. He might make it through four years intact, but never eight, and my worry is that his VP might become the President. If I was on the fence about Palin, the Couric interview convinced me that she's bright, but needs seasoning.

Sylvia K said...

Well, you know where I stand and it surely isn't with McCain.

joared said...

Considering what has been passed off as debates in previous elections for far too many years, I thought this one came closer to the real thing. May partially be due to the moderator. Hope the next ones become even more refined. I've finally been able to get up a post -- so much happening in the world.

Mary Lou said...

Damn! I Missed it. I did see about 1 hr of CNN 360 and was not impressed. I want to know what exactly and HOW they are going to do for ME> GoD did you see Sarah Palin's interview with Katie Curak? OH LORD we are in deep doo doo if they win.

sonia a. mascaro said...

Hi Rain,
How are you? Just stopping by to say that there is a surprise on my blog and I think you will like. If you have the time, please, come to see...
Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

McCain sounded like a know it all at times. McCain is supposedly up on foreign policy. If that is true, I expect Obama to shine in the next two debates. I rate this debate about even and McCain needed a win here !

Rain Trueax said...

McCain is famous for his nastiness and he showed it Friday night. For one thing he never addressed Obama by name. He disdained even looking at him. He constantly talked about how little experience his opponent has (doesn't bother him in a running mate though), and where Obama was polite and treated him with resprect, he didn't receive the same in return. I wonder if Americans will see that as strength or weakness. I know the hard right sees it as strength.

Here's a clip The smirk

Rain Trueax said...

This was an interesting link looking at the debate -- Talking Points. I would imagine if I went to right wing blog sites, I'd see an opposite take on it. We see what we want to see?

Linda said...

I saw the debate on C-Span without the pundits input. It was not a debate to be remembered in history but it was a good solid debate. I found Obama giving better details about what he would do than McCain. Of course I think Obama won because that's who I wanted to win.

I was so impressed to see graciousness once again. Obama was always the gentleman. He looked at McCain. McCain never looked at him. He shook hands afterward with him, and the moderator, then together with Michelle they walked across the room to shake hands with McCain and his wife. Obama was definitely the adult of the evening.

In my opinion McCain came across as a bitter and angry old codger. He looked old beyond his years and seemed ill at ease.
Everytime I hear Obama I am more impressed with him.