Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, August 15, 2008

A Gatekeeper Event

Three months before or after turning 65, all United States citizens must go to a Social Security office, for a prearranged appointment (of which you will be reminded by three phone calls and letters), to establish you are who you say for signing up for Social Security.

When it came my turn to do this, it seemed to me a seminal event. It only takes about ten minutes, but on the other side of the interview is official old age. On this side, well it really isn't that different except for how the government sees it.

Although it didn't make sense to Farm Boss, I put some thought into what I wanted to wear. He said, it's casual. Wear anything. He didn't get 'it.' This wasn't about what the office would expect, but about me. I finally decided on a sundress I bought earlier this summer and tan high-heeled sandals. I put on make-up, made sure my hair had some curl. I was going in to declare myself officially old, but I didn't want to look any older than was necessary while doing it.

There are a few gateway moments in our lives like graduation from schools, confirmation into a religion, marriage, birth of children, and even funerals. We wear something special for most of them. Okay, not the childbirth but it's in a class of its own.

In fiction books, when the hero enters into the adventure of the story, she/he passes by the gatekeeper or into an event that defines entry from one world to another. This is what it felt like for me to gather up my birth certificate and passport, Social Security card, and go into the government to prove I am not only me but soon to be 65 years on this planet.

If you haven't already been through this experience, it is not something most can choose to do or not. You sign up during a 6 month window or there is a financial penalty for signing up later.

With proof of identity in hand, and in my case, since I had not been a working wife (the farm does not count), proof of being married to someone who had worked and through whom I had had insurance. I had the Farm Boss with me to sign the necessary paper. Interestingly I never had to sign anything, but my verbal yes or no was reminded to me several times to be under threat of perjury.

When the administrator asked if I had any outstanding felony warrants, I said no, but then my sense of humor kicked in. I asked if anybody ever admitted to that. I could visualize as they admit it and the police show up for the arrest. Even as I had asked it, I wondered if joking was permissible (it's not in an airplane these days); but he smiled and said some should.

As a wife coming in under her husband's authority, I was first signed up, connected to him, and then disconnected to have my own Social Security, my own Medicare. The actual taking of Social Security benefits will wait until Farm Boss turns 66 next year but Medicare has to start at 65 as at that point we both lose his corporate retirement benefit.

Part way through the process, an Oriental couple took seats in the booth next to ours. I was listening to my own questions but did hear the son's talking as he tried to get his mother signed up for Medicare. She had not been here long. I am guessing they were either Taiwanese or Chinese as she didn't speak English at all when she and her son conversed. The administrator quickly told her son that she could not qualify since she had never worked in this country and had not lived here long. The son was perplexed. He asked how long would she have to be here to qualify? The administrator answered since 1996. The son appeared shocked. That long?

They apparently could have saved themselves a trip as the mother herself could have asked about this over the phone because Social Security offers interpreters in any language. The administrator was trying to be helpful and told them about Medicaid or the possibility they could talk Oregon into signing her up for the Oregon Health Care Plan which is for low income residents. Supposedly if she got into that plan, despite only just coming here, Medicare might then let her enroll...

When Farm Boss and I walked out of the building, I said sometimes I feel like a right winger. He laughed as he'd been feeling the same thing.

13 comments:

Harold/AQ said...

Welcome to the Center!
The Liberals aren't right all of the time, and the true Conservatives aren't always wrong. (I'm reasonably certain that the neo-con/neo-fascists are always wrong.)

Sylvia K said...

Ah, yes, the BIG day! Well, I could have done without it for a while, but since that was ten years ago I've learned to live with it. Welcome to the club of oldsters! But it's still about attitude and you have nothing to worry about there.

Darlene said...

I thank God for President Roosevelt and Social Security every day of my life.

Anonymous said...

I joined the world of Medicare just this month. Seems strange, as I don't feel old enough - most days.

But at least I won't have to pay those high COBRA premiums any more.

Ingineer66 said...

That is a good story Rain. That is too funny about not joking on an airplane. You definitely do not want to get charged with "Interfering with a flight crew" these days. It is about the same as joking about shooting the president in front of a Secret Service agent. No messing around since 9/11.

I know you are not a right winger, but a red blooded American. Many of us so called right wingers feel pretty much like you, but we are vilified for it. And you are in the sticks in Oregon. Now imagine all the cities in California and other states where that same scenario is played out millions of times each year. That is why most Americans want stricter border and immigration controls.

Anonymous said...

Rain you look so delectable !! :-)

Mary Lou said...

LOLOL I was hit right between the eyes with that fact, when I saw my February Retirement check had been slashed by 30%!! OUCH!! I was only 62! So I jumped on the 'puter and signed up and three weeks later I had my SS check. WHEW> Dont know if that makes me automatically signed up for medicare or not...better find out huh?

Dick said...

I started getting my Social Security retirement when I hit 62 so now that I am almost 65 (next month) it has been automatic to start Medicare. I am looking forward to it in that I'll save quite a lot of money on insurance premiums since as Peggy says, the cost to the beneficiary is lower than many of the individual plans. Annie was on it after I retired at the end of 2003 so I had some exposure then and Pat is a little older than I am so has current experience with it. I am joining the same Medicare Advantage plan that she has.

I still think the best answer to Universal Medical Coverage is to give Medicare to everyone, including Congress, Judges, etc. It is already set up although I am sure the bureaucracy would have to grow larger to handle everyone. The medical community knows it and how to work with it. If those politicians don't like the program, perhaps they'd be more inclined to fix it if they were personally on the plan. I think that would provide coverage for all and probably quickly fix Medicare's ailments.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Strange and creepy I also eased dropped when I went into the Social security office for my appointment. and there was another couple I don't remember the details but they did not qualify for public assistance.

Suzann said...

Rain, you are so beautiful - what a delight your story is - easing your incredible self through the gate to being an oldster - as Sylvia said, "it's about attitude" - loved following you on this momentous life transition.

Playing Field said...

Couldn't find an email address so that I could write directly to you. But this information may be helpfull to others. The term "oriental" is rooted in our past. As my kids say "Oriental is a rug." People from Asia are refered to as Asians or Asian Americans. Or, preferably Chinese, or Chinese Americans if you are sure of the country of their ancestors.

Rain Trueax said...

playing field, thank you for your comment on the proper label (my email is under my profile).

Frankly it's gotten to a point where I dislike using anything for anybody because it changes from group to group. I just looked up Oriental in Wikepedia (yes i know not the greatest source but quick) and didn't see where they regarded it as derogatory. To me (ancient as I am) the Orient will always be China, Japan, Taiwan then down to Singapore and Malaysia. I wanted to use a label because given how Americans are right now about Hispanics (another label that changes weekly or so it seems), I figured they would assume wrongly from where the people had come. Sometimes a person does have to just take a chance and at least make sure that the general region is covered. This man and his mom could have even been from the Philippines. I didn't stare at them and mostly heard their speech and general size from movement alongside my field of vision. The point I wanted to emphasize is they were not Hispanic or Mexican American or on it goes.

Rain Trueax said...

oh and thanks for the nice comments about my photo here. Always makes a person feel good-- at any age-- but especially at almost 65!