Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, August 22, 2008

The Eye of the Storm

The United States is starting into two weeks of political conventions while I am heading toward a vacation in Montana, Yellowstone Park, and Idaho. I hope to post some photos as I go but am not sure where I will have internet access.

Because this is such a hot time for issues, it was easy for me to write several to schedule ahead. I love how blogger now lets us do that. I hope that those of you who have equally passionate concerns for what is going on in this country will post comments which I should get some chance to read.

I am feeling edgy today as I get things ready to be gone. I have been watching to see if there will be early news on who gets the nod for Vice President. Personally, I am hopeful it will be Joe Biden. I like Biden, enjoy listening to him and think he'd make a good choice; but Obama has to pick who works best with him. Whoever he picks, he will have my vote in November and support through this campaign season.

This is an article that I thought pertinent in terms of issues. There are so many things that we as a country face but one that most impacts our children and grandchildren will be global dynamics-- keeping peace on a world wide scale and not ending up in a new world war. This article by Andrew Sullivan expressed my own concerns: The Eye of the Storm.

Times of plenty, peace, war, times of shortages, if you look back through history, they go in cycles. It is possible that even if GW Bush had been a wise president, we'd have been facing a rising Russia. Even if we had used more wisdom in our oil policies, maybe the money would still be flowing into the coffers of many who could be our enemy in the near future. The problem is we didn't face these issues and we have had a president who has purposed himself to be ignorant, who has sold us out on so many levels, and he's leaving us (and the next president) with some ugly possibilities in the near future. Americans need to stop thinking they can have it all for nothing because this country is too deeply in debt for that pipe dream.

Personally, I am looking forward to 9 or 10 days in the mountains, with rivers, wild animals, fishing, painting, reading the books I have put off, good wine, discussions, and places that speak to my heart and rejuvenate my soul. If I have a chance, I will share some of that interspersed with the political blogs I have already posted. If not, it will be waiting for when I return to the farm.

Photo is a cobbler of wild blackberries freshly picked today. I am about to pour some coffee and cut into it. Want a piece?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree the country has been drunk for several years and no one wants to join AA.

How are we going to convince people they don't *deserve* everything they want?

I can no longer recall the setting, but will never forget Cheney telling the American public that we deserve the right to drive SUVs.

For me this is one reason I can't identify with Republicans. They seem to me to epitomize the "me" generation.

I've grown past that and believe the world should be shared. I don't think we can take away everyone's toys but how many people really need houses in excess of 2,500 square feet? Or 4-wheel drive vehicles that get 15 mpg?

Far fewer would be my guess.

joared said...

Hope you have a great time on your trip and catch some edible fish in clean mountain streams.

Yeah, I'll have a dish of the warm blackberry cobbler. A dab of real whipped cream or a dip of vanilla ice cream on it will be just fine, thank you. A drizzle of milk over the biscuit crust will be okay if they're not available.

robin andrea said...

Enjoy your time in the mountains. It's good to be away from the hyped media frenzy of the moment.

I know you'll take plenty of great photos. I look forward to seeing what you see, and discovering what you uncover in your journeys.

That looks like a very yummy pie. I'd love a piece. Perhaps some after dinner brandy too!

Sylvia K said...

Have a marvelous, relaxing and fun trip! Guess we're all keeping our fingers crossed for the results of the next week. I'm so disgusted with the politics of McCain and Republicans in general. And it's time we got real about what the future holds if we continue as we have. Now that I've thrown out my black thoughts, I'll some cobbler and a really big spoonful of ice cream and whipped cream, hey, I'm easy!

Darlene said...

I was hoping for Biden also, Rain, and we got our wish. I was so happy to find that Obama showed good judgment in his choice.

Enjoy the cool weather and beautiful scenery. Take lots of photos while you recharge your batteries.

I would love a piece of that cobbler and would even enjoy it without the ice or whipped cream. I would like it warm, though. ;-).

Dick said...

I'll take a piece of that cobbler, please. Your choice for VP did turn out to be his, also. I was a bit fearful that he'd cave in & go with Hillary. Then I'd be stuck since I wouldn't be able to vote for them. Now to see who McCain goes with. It would be interesting if he did pick Lieberman.

Have fun in Montana & Idaho and I will also be looking forward to enjoying your photos.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Have a wonderful vacation, Rain. I came by tonight to see if you had posted in depth about Joe Biden and you did hope he would be Barack's choice. And he is.

My youngest son, now 41, did an internship on the Senate Judiciary Committee when he was in college and I guess Ted Kennedy was the chair and Joe Biden was his boss. He really admired both men.

I look forward to hearing more of your opinions regarding the ticket, but for now, enjoy the wilderness.