Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, June 30, 2008

a week of grandchildren and a canoe

It has been hot in the part of my Pacific Northwest (but under 100° F.) which might not seem hot in many parts of the country unless you have no air conditioning. Fortunately the creek does cool off the farmhouse at night but daytime is a slow time. Walk in the morning early, cool off the house until the warmth begins to build outside; then hole up. I haven't really had a lot of ideas for blog writing. Can I blame it on the heat? Maybe.

It's not that a lot hasn't been going on. Last week there were grandchildren on the farm which is always a plus for grandma. Two stayed here for several days and two came out to have dinner. Still what can I write about it other than it was good? Since I don't use pictures of my family here, I can't share those even though I'd love to do so. Suffice it to say that there was good family time, lots of hugs, sharing, watching movies, going for walks, art, and love.

The youngest grandson is just beginning to crawl. How cool is that? The oldest and only granddaughter, was learning how to climb trees-- in fact it wasn't easy getting her out of them. I smiled as I watched the grandkids running up and down a pile of gravel because this spring I have watched the lamb gangs do the same thing. The three cousins, old enough to do so, had some fun times together. The youngest will be enjoying that someday; but at nine months, mommy is what he enjoys most.

We finally selected and bought a canoe last week-end which was also pretty cool but we haven't yet taken it out. Too many things going on. Last summer we got our first opportunity to use a canoe and loved it. We bought one in celebration of one of us turning 65 (Farm Boss) and the Solstice. Hopefully next week-end we will figure out where to take it. For now we are reading up on how to wisely use it as well as where.

Symbolic of the lushness of this season and in lieu of photos of my grandkids, these are of the climbing roses. I love old-fashioned roses that have histories that go back in time. Unlike the tea roses, they don't bloom all summer but while they are here, the air is full of their fragrance. It was a good June.

4 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

Great times with the grandchildren Rain....I always love to hear about that. You can never have too many roses for me....I love them....beautiful pics. I've never been in a canoe....yours looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Find a quiet little local lake (we canoe on Spring Lake in the Renton area of WA) that has a boat ramp. Our boat ramp, a glorious name for an unglorious dirt ramp which is clogged with cattails, allows access and a cool place to spend an evening. Ardi

Ingineer66 said...

Kids and a canoe, what could be better on a summer day.

Anonymous said...

Unquestionably, I love it, intriquing, notable and well-founded thoughts. Be sure to create more interesting articles in your.