Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tolerance-- or not

The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people.
Anonymous

When a friend, who I care for a lot, told me recently that my previous post on religion sounded intolerant to her, I didn't disagree. Fine with me, I said while thinking that even though I tend toward what many consider the liberal side of the political spectrum, I don't see tolerance as being always a virtue. I do understand though the evils of intolerance, that it can be what starts wars or allows others to be manipulated into starting them and leads to witch burnings, lynchings and so forth.

The conversation, as so many passionate discourses do, led me to thinking more. Exactly what is meant by the word tolerance and why is it promoted as such a positive thing?

First Unabridged Dictionary definition for tolerance: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.
My husband had a different definition for tolerance. To him, from a science perspective, tolerance is what is allowed until something reaches the breaking point. This would be true for metal or even prescription drug tolerances. What you can tolerate is what you can use until something breaks.

His definition is useful as it explains intolerance. People are intolerant culturally when they fear a breaking point is near. We all might, and will, disagree about what that point will be. One culture has one where a woman goes out without a mask over her face. Another might say when gay couples are permitted to marry.

For me to not care if gays marry, not mind what someone does in their private sexual life (that doesn't harm children or physically hurt someone else), not have ever been concerned about interracial marriage, which can still be a hot spot for a few, and so many other things has not seemed like tolerance. It's easy as it doesn't threaten my concept of the culture in which I live or my own life at all. But to some, it does.

This is where I think the scientific look at tolerance helps a person to understand better than the more proper first dictionary definition. Anything can appear to be a breaking point where some erupt with upset or promote laws to protect themselves.

My main areas of intolerance, those places I see as threats, start with purposeful ignorance. I am also intolerant of others who claim to be informed when they are not... well that goes back to the purposeful ignorance. And hypocrisy-- don't get me started on hypocrisy!

I wonder if true tolerance can ever be found with passion. Doesn't tolerance have to be somewhat placid, not caring if things change, not feeling upset at what goes on around oneself, live and let live? Tolerance probably leads to less high blood pressure and ulcers.

Before we get intolerant of something, perhaps we need to ask ourselves, what actually does break a society? If we are tolerant of the wrong things, to what does that lead?

An intolerant link: Equal time for the willfully ignorant.

10 comments:

robin andrea said...

I really like how you think, rain. I remember someone once saying that tolerance is what you practice when your neighbor's dog is barking. There are some things that must not be tolerated-- injustice, ignorance. You make a very good point about the true physical aspects of tolerance.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Your logic is a real eye opener. I am very fearful after reading "equal time for the willfully ignorant"!
Why are people allowing themselves to be ignorant? Will it break their core reality of the cosmos and self-image to acknowledge that an African American has the ability to unify our country in a new direction?

joared said...

But do the people who are willfully ignorant know they are ignorant, or is that a relative judgement, and they, perhaps, think the person with a different point of view is uninformed? I don't know. Just askin'!

Anonymous said...

We have the best government that money can buy and that fools elect !!

Rain Trueax said...

That is a good way of looking at tolerance, robin and thanks :)

Joared, I don't know about people and how someone says they wouldn't vote for a candidate based on their middle name being the same as someone who is totally different and is now dead. Some purposeful ignorance, where it comes to politics, is by choosing to only listen to one source of news (or not listen to the news at all).

To me this all starts with good educational systems that teach children how to use tools for finding out things. If someone knows how to read, knows how to use the internet, (and you can go to a library to use one if you can't afford to get online at home), knows how to do critical thinking, how to sort through real facts from emotional talk, you still can have someone who will not look at anything that threatens their point of view. A democracy falls though if you end up with too many of the citizens who cannot reason enough to make wise votes.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting subject, Rain.
I've always considered myself an extremely tolerant person and it's because I do have a "live and let live" attitude. Very much like you, as long as somebody isn't hurting me personally or society as a whole....I say "go for it."
The older I get though, I'm coming to see that I can be quite INtolerant...when it comes to ignorance, incompetence, lack of compassion for both animals and humans, injustice, predjudice. Which leaves me wondering.....how tolerant a person am I REALLY?
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Anonymous said...

Been peeking in and now is my first time commenting - a very interesting discussion to say the least. The difficult thing is that so many seem to have lost track of what is right and wrong by keeping in mind the impact of any action - or what harms more than helps the greatest number or helps rather than harms the greatest number. "Tolerance" can so easily deteriorate into apathy, inaction and turning one's back on a situation or action and then ignorance because people don't have the motivation left to act or even LOOK! Very thought provoking post and comments. Love the Enigma video from your recent post-new to me - Thanks

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Ok, I am not willing to tolerate any actions of people willfully being ignorant. What do I do? Maybe figure out why they will not look at reality. Because if I know the cause there might be away of changing the way I try to reach them so we can connect. So we won't be driven farther apart. Rain has it right that it begins with education. Well, is there another faster way to connect with adults?

Anonymous said...

To me "tolerance" is strength, "to tolerate" is to exhibit strength. For instance, the human body can tolerate a certain amount of ionizing radiation before it leads to death. A piece of metal, of a given shape and composition, can tolerate a certaom level of axial load, before it breaks. Ergo, if I snap and quibble over every little thing that others do, I am not very strong...not very tolerant.
Elitism is the reverse of tolerance. He/she is not as good as I am because our religions/races/sexes/points of view differ. If I am an elitist, I admit that I am not strong enought to allow someone else to differe from me. How sad. I fight this tendancy in myself.
Cop Car

Mary Lou said...

TEE HEE I Love how you stir the pot!! I have said for YEARS that education, education, education is the most important thing you can give to ourselves and our future generations. Educate them to be able to REASON and THINK.One of the reasons I backed away from organized religion is they wanted you to only think about what THEY wanted you to know, and not REASON WHY they wanted you to know ONLY that. Now I have all kind of questions, and it is really making a gap in our family. THey just refuse to ask other questions.

READ!! QUESTION!!! EDUCATE YOURSELVES!!!

Keep on writing Rain!! I just Love you!