Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, April 23, 2008

one more primary *sigh*

Being away for a couple of days (some photos to come), I didn't turn on the news or attempt to find out what happened in Pennsylvania's primary until on my way home. I expected the Clinton win but was disappointed, of course.

From what I understand, it is probable that Hillary Clinton would have won Pennsylvania no matter how she campaigned. She and her people were worried though. Obama's numbers were rising. Out came her tough talk about how she would annihilate (and you know that means nukes as it's the only way you can annihilate a people) any country that attacked Israel or our other friends in the Middle East.

Then came the scare ads using a photo of Osama bin Laden, reminders of the Great Depression, and on and on. More of that 3 AM phone call talk because it has worked before. Basically she played the same game that Bush did to win-- use fear and tag someone as connected to anything that might bring them down. Some say that she learned it from Karl Rove. That would require 'someone' to not remember how the Clintons have won their elections through the years. It's about as likely that Rove learned what worked from them as vice versa.

It is disillusioning to think that Americans are so easily fooled, but Bush's eight years are pretty strong evidence that manipulation isn't that difficult when the fear card is played. I can't count how many times I have gotten emails tying Barack Obama to Marxism, to terrorists, to being a Manchurian candidate (which since that character was a prisoner when he was brainwashed would be more likely John McCain-- no I do not think McCain is one either), a puppet of his pastor, and on and on it has gone. What makes people pass on such garbage? and yes, it is garbage.

I am not sure but in the end, humans seem to be easily emotionally impacted and frightened; and those who seek power know this. I don't think it's just our country. It's an attitude in human nature. Jesus didn't compare humans to sheep as a compliment.

Only time will tell what happens. It might well be Hillary who gets the nomination in the end simply because she is willing to do anything to get it. If Obama was likewise willing to use any tactics to win, then in the end, there would be no hope the American people could win-- assuming Americans have the character and fortitude themselves to deserve a strong, good leader. After eight years of people supporting and voting for George Bush, that's still up for debate.

This thing may not be settled by the states and take until August and the convention before it's over. Some are saying Hillary wants McCain to win in November if she can't get the nomination. That would enable her to run again in 4 years. She sure hasn't been speaking out against McCain, has she? Which appears to indicate she doesn't figure she will have to run against him. Given his stand on issues, if nothing else, how could she prefer him to Obama where it comes to things like selecting judges?

It would be rather ironic if she did in the end get the nomination and then have to do an about face and run against McCain. Although, being two-faced obviously isn't a problem...

12 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Hi,
A Hillary supporter called tonight to convince me to vote for her in the Oregon primary election. Tried to capture my support by saying we needed a mom in the White House. I told him that I had already made up my mind to vote for Obama. He could be tough when necessary. I think Hillary would be wrongfully tough when she should have more diplomatic savy.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

The whole race is disgusting--all of the candidates are being brutal. I don't even get angry very often anymore when I hear Hillary's machine putting ugly words in her mouth. She's covered in the excrement of politics. I agree with your take on the garbage we keep getting forwarded by our conservative friends. Sometimes I wonder if anyone exercises their brains anymore to come to logical conclusions; they vote like their daddy did or like their pastors tell them. I think Hillary will be the candidate, but then who knows? Maybe the convention will draft someone not running--slim chance.

All our thoughts, all our words go into the collective unconscious. It almost feels like this period is Dante's inferno.

Harold/AQ said...

I would be disappointed but not surprised if voters chose the establishment candidate to change the establishment. I really feel saddened that we appear to be missing a moment when change is possible, that the campaign the Clintons are running will ultimately put McCain in the White House.

Rain Trueax said...

There was an excellent column from the UK this morning for those who are trying to figure this all out. White American isn't ready to elect a black president. I would rather believe this analysis is wrong but I don't really know. Why people vote can be so weird and they frequently aren't honest about their motives.

robin andrea said...

I'm going to read that article, rain, right after I leave a comment here. I was disappointed that Obama lost by 10% points in Pa. I was so hoping for a stronger showing. I've been feeling that his energy is low since that ABC debate. I hope he can regain his strength and return to the essence of his visionary candidacy. Hillary is a passionless political machine.

Kay Dennison said...

I am so disillusioned with the 2008 campaign I think I want to vote no for president. I'd say more but I'm too tired and to angry to raise my blood pressure.

Ingineer66 said...

I do not think I agree with the article. First off where are all the articles that say America is not ready to vote for a woman president when half the country are women.
People were plenty happy to vote for Obama when he was just a presidential candidate and the "Black" Leadership was all supporting Hillary. He won in some of the whitest states in the Union. There are not enough blacks in the US that he got to where he is by just getting the black vote. But now that race is an issue, I think that some people are concerned that his friends could be looking for some kind of payback if he is elected. For me I liked him until he became a "black" candidate and he started talking more about how liberal his policies really would be.

Rain Trueax said...

Being half black and half white, Obama could not run as a white if he wanted to as he looks black. In this country, that's what counts. What you just said, Ingineer, was racist. You are judging him as different, mentioning it before you mention his issues, because he is black, and that threatens you.

Think about how many generations of blacks (since they got the vote anyway) have had to vote for whites and trust them to do what is best for them and the country, but you won't trust a black to be a president and people like you are what the article, looking at us from English perspective, was talking about.

After I discovered more about McCain, I knew I couldn't vote for him either. His policies and his character are all off for my vote. Which means, if Hillary gets it, despite how I feel about her (and it's obvious what that is), she is the lesser of the evils and I will vote for her. Unhappily but I will.

What I believe is that whether she gets it or McCain does in November, it'll be more of Bush. They are all the same and between them and the Rush Limbaughs who are out there stirring it up, they have managed to scare Americans from looking at the alternative because it's too different.

You would have always voted for McCain because you are right wing in your political leanings. You still believe the fairy tale that Ronald Reagan ran on and you were just waiting for something to be said by Obama to make you feel comfortable saying you wouldn't vote for him because he's black.

Mostly for those who think like you, Wright did that but if you listen to all of what Wright said in that sermon, it's historic events up until his conclusion. He was speaking about what America has done.

When you said you'd not vote for Obama, I wish you had not added that it's because he's actually a black (what a surprise). I hate thinking this country is still racist but it appears it is. That's sad.

Listening to what McCain said about women and getting equal pay is total evidence that he is not in the middle. He is as extreme a right winger as Bush-- maybe more so. He also has drunk the kool-aid that we can have everything we want, like expensive wars around the world, and not pay for any of it. Even his talk about environment is all phony and when he gets in, if he does, he will go for whatever big business wants and ignore the environment. McCain is definitely scarier to me than Hillary and that's saying a lot.

Ingineer66 said...

I can see why you might say that my comments are racist. But I do not think of them that way. Personally I do not see people by the color of their skin. I see them based on their actions and their words.

People do not like Bush because they say he protects his rich friends. But to say I am concerned about Obama's friends now I am somehow racist? I do not think so. Like I said I do not think of him as black. First off he should be known as an American, but if we must assign a race then he should be known as "mixed race" because that is what he is. He is Heinz 57 just like I am and many Americans are. It is the Left and the people of color that seem to want to make this about race. And I am some what concerned about what his friends might do if he gets to be president. But not nearly as concerned as what Hillary and her friends would do if she got to be president. So I guess I am a sexist too because I do not want her to become president.
And yes I am likely to hold my nose and vote for McCain this November. Not because he is a white man but because he is not as liberal as Obama and he is not a Clinton.

And even if Obama did win and did everything in his power to help black people get some payback it would not be as bad as what Hillary is going to do to this country if she were president.

Rain Trueax said...

Blogger Rain said...

Well first of all, do you know who his friends are? We know that Charles Keating was a friend of McCain's when all the savings and loans scandals were occurring but I have no idea right now other than some senators, who McCain's friends are and sure don't know who Obama's are. Certainly that guy from the Weathermen, radical, Vietnam era group, who did have a meeting in his home when Obama ran for State legislature, is not a friend. Do people today even know who the Weathermen were? Try this if you don't remember or never knew-- Weathermen.

I am writing a piece on the black and white issue. Right now I have not seen Obama say a single thing that indicates he was out the right past wrongs against the blacks. He has people who support him who might think that way but if you go by what he says, it's not there.

What is happening is right wing radio and others are trying to say because he knows Ayers, because he respects his pastor for other reasons, he is now a terrorist supporter. It's just crazy but it's what is being said.

If things continue this way, it'll be Hillary against McCain because while you might not feel that way evidently 19% of Pennsylvanians did say they wouldn't vote for a black. That doesn't mean if he's nice or not. Just plain racial grounds. I think that will scare the democratic party if they think that's widespread.

Anonymous said...

I don't really believe that ingineer66 is a racist--at least, I cannot conclude that from his writing. If I did, I would have to conclude that Rain is a sexist--from her writing.

Substitute "woman" for "black" amd
"man" for "white" in Rain's paragraph,

"Think about how many generations of blacks (since they got the vote anyway) have had to vote for whites and trust them to do what is best for them and the country, but you won't trust a black to be a president and people like you are what the article, looking at us from English perspective, was talking about."
OldernDirt

Rain Trueax said...

Interesting comments from all here on this touchy subject. I don't believe that ingineer is a racist either. The question was about his statement being racist about not voting for a black who was a black. And it would be sexist if I believed Hillary wasn't to be trusted because she's a woman-- also a little self-defeating about myself.

The issue with people of color as well as gender should be we are judged by what we have done and what we intend to do-- which is exactly why I don't like the idea of Hillary as our next president-- based not on her gender but her past and current actions. If she becomes the next president, I will hope I was wrong.