Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, April 20, 2008

And exactly what is this???

For me, it's not possible to complain about less than an inch of snow the last part of April. Well it would be. I definitely heard the sheep and cows complaining Saturday and Sunday morning. Where went our pasture?! And my cats-- how do I get across that to my scratching post? The fact that it was a scant 3/4" was no consolation.

How can I complain though when I have heard all winter and even into the spring of so much worse weather elsewhere. Storms that came in unexpectedly and caused much grief. Or other places, sometimes not even that far apart, with not enough moisture and already suffering disastrous grass fires.

It's very odd how the weather is and whether you lay it to our planet getting a bit overall warmer and thereby impacting wind patterns and ocean currents, you do have to think something is going on.

We get freezes sometimes up until the middle of May where I live in Oregon's Coast Range. Many is the industrious gardener who planted annuals the first of May and had to do it all again the end of the month, but even that's not typical. Snow toward the end of April, well this is pretty much the first time I have seen it here.

So we got some snow. Big deal. Now I will admit I was ready for spring to turn into summer as you can see by the poor, woebegone chaise lounge. The tulip didn't want a cap of snow, the pine was ready to dump pollen not be dumped upon-- although that's not bad for allergy sufferers.

Can I blame this on the full moon? I blame pretty much everything else on it, why not...

7 comments:

robin andrea said...

I don't mind the snow as much as I mind how dark and dreary it's been. In all the other places I have ever lived, a snowfall is followed by glorious sunny skies. Not here. Same old bleak and dismal gray. That I complain about.

Dick said...

Same kind of weather up here but this morning we have more like 2". Although it has already melted on the roads and will all be gone soon. It sure is unseasonable. I hope the forecast for the next week holds. We are going east of the mountains next Sunday to spend a week in warm & dry conditions. Maybe.

Allan Erickson said...

1/2" here in NW Eugene.

Unstable weather... we'll see this do weird things as it heads east.

I'm soooo ready for 60 - 70ยบ weather.

Anonymous said...

Imagine....snow in April! And "they" say we don't have global warming?
The poor flowers and trees, and all the animals, are quite confused I'm sure.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Mary Lou said...

THe weather has certainly been something else this spring hasnt it? I drove home in the blizzard on Friday night. @0 miles of sheer terror!!!

Suzann said...

Wow, snow on the tulips - what an interesting photo. I hope that spring is firmly established in your area - we finally are getting green. Hooray.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

My daughter-in-law said they were actually snowed into their driveway all weekend from snow. They are in the mountains above Pt. Angeles. It's in the 70s now with weather changing daily. I long for the prolonged warm days to come.