Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, February 29, 2008

Pack rat heaven

Continuing the last blog--

The preferred method for killing a pack rat is trap or poison. There are many choices, even a chamber that the rat enters only to be electrocuted instantly. The latter had no appeal to me given I even hate the sound of bugs being zapped that way and can you imagine what it'd sound like if it was a rat?

Pack rats are about 4-5" long with a tail of about the same length. They are sometimes called kangaroo rats or trade rats and have acquired a mythology that they will always leave something when they take something. That might well be true, but it's not from any moral sense of fair play. They have to hold things in their mouth to carry them. When something more appealing comes along, first item is dropped. They are drawn to many things. Who knew some of those are phone cables, auto hoses or wiring, as well as holes in ceilings?

When we began considering how to kill the ones in the space above our ceiling and along the ducting, we considered poison, but more experienced people said it does not work very well. The most successful method appeared to be live traps. We bought one that fit into the available space and waited. The first night it was tripped but the sneaky rat had managed the bait without getting caught.

That next morning, we also discovered it had also rebuilt its little nest (which we had removed)-- determined creature. More lessons came in learning to put foil under the trap, so that the rat couldn't reach up through the bars and get the peanut butter (the preferred trapping bait). These little creatures are not dumb.

Second night of trapping reaped success-- one shivering, terrified, tiny, mama pack rat. That explained the rebuilding of the nest and probably why she didn't leave through the extrusion wire which let rats out but not back.

Realizing she was pregnant made us glad we found her before the babies were born. Ack! It also explained her determination to stay and have her babies in the safest place she knew. I wondered if she was last year's mama, who appeared much younger. I wrote about that experience last March in Predator or Prey.

The expected method to dispose of her would be drowning. Most Tucsonians would consider us nuts to even think about whether that was the right approach. I can hear conservatives now saying-- typical liberal; but this is more about only killing when need be. We had time to think about this.

Any rodent can carry diseases like Hanta Virus, but that happens when their population is high. We had observed on our acre and a quarter, we currently have very few pack rats-- although lots of holes. That might be due to king or rattlesnakes as they will go into their holes and hunt them. Population might also be thinned by a bobcat that our neighbor told us had her kittens on our place. He even watched the kittens fall out of the ironwood tree near the house.


Whatever the reason, although we have many holes in the ground made by pack rats, there appear to be few rats.

We had found the hole through which she entered our house. She was doing what any animal, including us, does in trying to improve her natural environment and have a safe place to raise her babies. Having plugged the hole to our satisfaction, we weren’t worried that she could return.

We could have taken her in the live trap to a new area and let her go, but that didn’t seem quite fair either; so we took a gamble and decided to release her right back on our own piece of desert.

When the trap was opened, she ran for it; then she stopped and looked back. Did she remember last year when she was chased from her other nest? Was she curious why we didn’t do what most predators would— kill her? Whatever it was, there was a few seconds of the meeting of the eyes. There was, at least on our end, an awareness of a commonality of all being alive and wanting to stay that way.

There will probably be no happy ending for this little pack rat (which you can see running away finally in the last picture). She will have to find one of the holes to rebuild a nest for those soon to be born babies. She is still at the bottom of the food chain and any owl, hawk, bobcat, coyote or big snake will consider her a nice meal. They have a reason to try to kill her. We didn’t. We just needed her out of our house!

(Click on photos to enlarge if you can't see her as she's in each photo)

11 comments:

TorAa said...

What a struggle with these small beasts: Shall, shall not, - kill.
Will a Main Coon catch them?

Very interesting post for me, as we don,t have such creatures here in Norway.

PS. When I commented on one of Suzann's post some minutes ago, well,
read for yourself:
http://journeytoanewlife.blogspot.com/2008/02/still-here-in-cold.html
I did not know my next blogger to comment is living in Oregon. The blogger world is fascinating

robin andrea said...

Great story, rain! I love that you let that mama pack rat live. We came home from our California sojourn to a garage full of mice. I even found a little nest in the trunk of our car. Bummer. We are not being as kind to these critters as you were to Ms Pack Rat. The garage is cleaned up and the poison has been set out. We're giving the mice a choice, they can move out or die.

Kay Dennison said...

When I first moved into my current place, I discovered mice. I bought some poison and they not only have left, they haven't returned. I suspect the previous tenants weren't very clean. Glad you were kind to the little mama. And I hope that solved your problem.

Rain Trueax said...

welcome to the blog, toraa. As for the not kill part, if there had been no alternative to getting her out of the house, we'd have killed her. She could not stay up there. We have used poison on mice but they just say it doesn't work well with the pack rats. One problem is putting it outside where other animals can pick it up. I still have yet to see a pack rat out at the quail seed block; so something thinned their numbers. Too many rodents is not healthy.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

You were much kinder than I was, Rain, and I applaud you for it. In my last go-around after the exterminator left and they came back, I got the sticky traps and had to drown the damn things myself. Letting them go wasn't an option. They were destroying the house. One actually ate the hose going into the dishwasher. It now has a screen over it. I never thought I would be able to kill an animal, but since there was no man to do it, I felt like I had no choice.

Rain Trueax said...

They will destroy the house, for sure, Fran. It was not an option to let them stay up there like you might with mice. They eat through everything. As I mentioned before, it's why we cannot leave a vehicle down here. Also they carry diseases; so if I had seen more around here right now, I'd have drowned her. I have mentioned coyotes where I have sheep. When something threatens that for which you are responsible, then it's important to be able to do what needs doing. In this case, we didn't have to kill her but in a different situation, we would do it also.

Dennis Murphy said...

That was a well written and thoughtful article about the pack rat. Enjoyed the article right up the point where there is a snide remark about conservatives. That did it for me. Took a good article and ruined it.-Dennis

Rain Trueax said...

That was not snide, Dennis Murphy. It was a straight out observation that conservatives tend to think liberals allow too many things to come into a decision process, see gray more than black and white. If you listen to very many conservative radio programs, which I do when on the road, you will know it's what they say. Too bad if you let one thing ruin it for you but I stand by my observation that it's how conservatives tend to see liberals. Since it was a flat out statement, I don't consider it snide at all.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyable article, thanks. We discovered a pack rat in our shed last fall and decided to let it stay 'till spring because we get such a huge amount of snow here. We thought releasing it so late in the year would be a death sentence. Up side: the kids were fascinated with the nest building and shiny object collecting. Down side: every single tool in the shed is covered with excrement. I'm setting the live trap today. That rat is going for a drive. On the subject of poison for mice, I would say don't use it. It causes an agonizing death, and sometimes the rodents can die and decompose inside the walls where you can't get to them. We use the classic break-the-neck traps. Every winter the mice invade our house and, though I will admit it is gruesome to empty those traps, it is a much more humane and efficient way to kill them.

Joey Bing said...

"It was a straight out observation that conservatives tend to think liberals allow too many things to come into a decision process, see gray more than black and white. If you listen to very many conservative radio programs, which I do when on the road, you will know it's what they say. Too bad if you let one thing ruin it for you but I stand by my observation that it's how conservatives tend to see liberals. "

--
After reading THAT--I have to wonder if you have the ability to see your own hypocrisy.
You say that conservatives accuse liberals of seeing gray, and that they see in "black and white" --yet in the very next breath you literally paint a very narrow minded black and white picture of "us vs. them".
Sounds to me like you respect and value and relate better to disease bearing, destructive vermin far more than your fellow human--assuming that human merely has a different political perspective than you have.
And THAT is just very sad.

My advice-
Stop listening to junk radio and ferrying around rodents and start being a truly open-minded and humanitarian human!

Rain Trueax said...

Thanks for the advice, Jerry... we didn't ferry around the rodent two years ago or however long ago this happened. And my opinion of the right wing has only hardened since then and I see them a lot worse given the kinds of candidates they'd have govern us (with the exception of Romney and Huntsman and no, I'm not a Mormon).

Incidentally I don't generally let in comments that seem to not apply to the subject but read this one, the comments here, and saw how it devolved into this-- hence let the political slam stand. I write a blog that is about politics and it's where I now try to keep all slams letting only culturally oriented topics get into Thoughts. It makes me and my readers here more sanguine-- generally.