Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Something Old Something New

No, it's not a wedding but December 2007 brought some things into my home-- one very new and one very old. In a way when we add something to our home, we are wedding it to what already is there.

Buying a new stove has been on the agenda off and on for over a year-- from when the oven took forever to cook a turkey last Thanksgiving. The first time I went into a store to look, I was in amazement how much things had changed in the nearly 30 years since I'd bought the last one. There were too many options, and for awhile I put off dealing with it. I felt like Rip van Winkle returned from a long sleep.

When I went back in December, I knew I could have kept its purchase simple and gotten a stove that more or less exactly duplicated the one I had, but what fun would that have been? Those new elements had some features I began to want and finally I made a decision with which I am very happy.

The recent dinner affirmed how nicely this stove does everything and then some. I like the warming drawer which is not so necessary for simple dinners but when putting together a lot of dishes, it was wonderful. I had been warned about glass-top stoves requiring careful wiping up to avoid stains and am being careful, but I like how it cooks more evenly than the old burners as does the oven with its hidden elements. I have also used the warming drawer to dry bread cubes for turkey dressing, and I think it'll be useful for rising yeast breads.

Then there is-- Bringing new art into a home is definitely wedding a new element to something that has already been working but where a change of energy is desired. When I do hang paintings or bronzes, they are not decorations to me, but energy for the room, the wall, and all who enter the home. Everything has to work together to create a harmonious flow. I don't want to plop down something that looks like a fish out of water and draws the eye to just it. One thing should lead to another. Hanging art is a pleasure to me, and I take my time getting it to feel right.

Slowly through the years, I have been collecting western themed art. For some reason Western art seems a little harder to mix with other themes.When I saw Judy Erickson's cowboy paintings in Sprague River, I knew I had found enough to make it work.

To accent these new themes, I decided to bring this old saddle in from the garage. I am not sure of its age. My husband bought it maybe 20 years ago as a cheap saddle for a horse we had on the place at the time. It has wooden stirrups, is smaller than many today, has that lovely worn patina that says it's been well-used for many years. The leather work is simple but nice. I took a lot of photographs of it and will find it handy to use when I need to paint a saddle. (It was incidentally very popular with all the children here on Sunday as they took turns 'riding' it on its old wooden stand.)

The cowboy paintings in this grouping are by Judy Erickson. They include the giclee I wrote about awhile back, The Wild Ones, showing men driving a herd of wild horses; another giclee, Hackamore Horse, which means a horse trained to not require a bit to do the rider's bidding; and an original oil, The Last Gate, which has the symbolism of a man closing a gate as the sun is setting. Judy said she had seen a cowboy doing this on one of the drives, on which she had worked, and waited for a time to paint it. The Plains Indian head came from a gallery on the Coast a few years ago and worked well with the others to form a truly Western wall .

Something new and something old (well, me too).

8 comments:

Dick said...

I'll be interested in hearing how you like that cooktop after using it awhile. I have thought that when we need a new range that might be a good thing to look into.

Your Western themed wall looks good, and as to alluding to yourself also being old, remember that being old is an attitude while getting older is a good thing. Besides I think you are a few days younger than me.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Your home is very welcoming to all ages. I love the saddle. Maybe someday you will replace the giclees with some of your own work. In the mean time the giclee s will instruct you. they are like taking a class. Or maybe you will study for real with Judy E.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Old and new. I love the juxtaposition of the stove and the saddle. I can only imagine how much the kids loved to test that saddle out at the family get-together. I know you are a Western woman and I admire you for "giving energy" to your space with the art you create and that you collect. I hadn't looked at art that way before, but it makes sense.

And thanks for the perfect day suggestion. I refer to your comment, and Arby's, in my post today.

Ingineer66 said...

A very nice post. Speaking from experience you may want to have a steel saddle stand made if the little ones are going to be riding it. Or at least keep an eye on how well the wood one is holding together.

Mary Lou said...

I got a stove like that Last year for CHristmas! I LOVE it. yep, I am a meswsy cooker, but a little cleaner and a stright edge razor blade wipe it all up just fine. ANd now Easy-Off has a cooktop cleaner. YES!!!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Love these things you have added to your home....And the New Stove sounds awesome! And I love your use of 'wedded'...because you are right, to my way of thinking, when we add things to our rooms, especially 'art objects', we are marrying them to what is already there....Well said, my dear!

In regard to your comment, Rain...I thank ou for that---And agree, often we miss these small "gems", because we are too busy going after BIG things that in the long run do not have the true power and majesty as well as the importance---especially ecologically speaking----of these small but very important and beautiful little things.

Anonymous said...

Lovely art work and a beautiful woman !! :-)

Maya's Granny said...

Great post. I really like for the art in my home to have a thought out feel. When one piece adds to another, it gives a sense of calm and peace.