Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, January 07, 2008

Creative thinking

Actually I was not planning to write a blog on creativity right now. I had in mind writing on the political candidates, but then I was reading Fran's blog, Sacred Ordinary; and she wrote, The Last Fire of Christmas and Thoughts on Julia Cameron,

Like many writers, published or otherwise, I am familiar with Cameron's books starting with The Artist Way. I have not known anything at all about who she was as a woman. I had had no idea she has brought out a memoir, Floor Samples. To be honest, I have never religiously followed her books' advice, but I have seen value in her ideas.

So after reading what Fran had written, I did some searching online about who is Cameron, the woman, and came up with the following interview with her. It seemed worth sharing as it has some good thoughts for those who do create-- most especially for those who might have creativity as a calling as was discussed in comments to blog before this one.

6 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Cameron's ideas have inspired many of my contemperary friends. I think some painters apply the stream of consciousness ideas by do some warm up paintings before they work on their larger or finished works. Plus her other idea of having an inspirational art date once a week reminds me of what Rain and I used to do once a week meeting for a walk and going to the book store. Most of my time working intensely, I am alone and would like to have a time to go out with other visual artists to do something that will also stimulate my senses. I will introduce this u-tube interview to some of these artits I know in my town who want to get together.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Thanks so much for your mention of Sacred Ordinary, but more for posting this YouTube interview with Julia. I don't think I've ever heard her voice before.

Like you, I don't always agree with Julia, but I do think she has made a profound difference in making "creativity" a household word and possibility for people like me who think of themselves as non artists. Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Rain, thanks for making this available. Morning pages have changed my life. I mean this. Two years ago I was just beginning morning pages. Now I've never been happier or more creative. They are really MANDATORY for anyone who wants to wake up their life.

Rain Trueax said...

Interesting testimony for morning pages, Ann. I did them for a bit but never stuck with it. It's neat that they worked so well for you and from the things I have read other places, they do for some others also. When I did them, I ran out of things to say and then would try to make my writing larger, spread out the lines more, anything to take up the pages :)

Rain Trueax said...

I do more of the artist date thinking, not deliberately setting one day aside but making sure I regularly do things that stimulate my creative juices and give me some diverse insights. DVD rentals can be good that way.

Anonymous said...

I'm quite familiar with Cameron and have The Artist Way. I read it and attempted to practice it, but came to realize that as a writer, I'm seldom "blocked." I can always find something to write about and when working on a novel of course I reach those points where I need to take a break and re-think my plot and where I'm going, but it doesn't take too long for me to get back on track.
What did grab me about this interview was the way she has her wrist watch around the palm of her hand. Interesting. I take that to mean she's a very organized and time-oriented person....not good enough on the wrist, must be on the hand so she can "feel" it and be aware of how much time is left to her interview. Not sure I'm quite that organized.....lol
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net