Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, December 06, 2007

Zeitgeist-- the movie

I wrote about Zeitgeist when I first heard about it and ordered the DVD which arrived in the mail this week. We sat down to watch it Tuesday night. When I was over, I wasn't sure that I wanted to write about it nor what I'd say if I did. I had seen some of it on YouTube but not the part on religion. I went to bed that night unsure but full of its images.

My dream was very vivid, like a movie. I was on some kind of luxury ship. It had many levels and a lot of people also on it-- most likely a tour ship. I realized it was being invaded by a group of very bad people, who took it over. They herded the rest of the people into one of the large rooms. I, with those who had come with me on the trip, was in a separate area. I watched what was happening as the people, who now were clearly captives, didn't object. They seemed to feel it was safe to be in the power of whoever these people were. I was trying to find a way to escape and ran into some of those bad guys but still was not in the main area. The dream ended before I either completely escaped or found out what was going to happen but my feeling was that the captives, who had submitted so meekly, would be blown up.

It's certainly not surprising I'd have a violent dream after watching Zeitgeist as it's about violence, about those who would control others through various ruthless methods. When I woke up, I lay in bed thinking about the dream and how, if Zeitgeist is accurate, which I am not saying I believe it is, then what happens next will either be a very violent event in one of our major cities or a group will spread a disease through the country to cause the pandemic they are currently warning us about-- and the ones doing it won't be Islamic fanatics. I understand this is conspiracy kook thinking to some, but there have always been questions out there about both 9/11 and Oklahoma City. If Zeitgeist is correct, we don't have anybody who will honestly investigate because the people in power would be the ones doing it-- and I don't mean just politicians. None of this began with Bush; so let's keep his name out of it as it only causes some to get defensive and quit thinking about the rest of what is going on.

What we all know is that fear is a proven method one group uses to control another. We see it in religion. We have seen it in politics, most recently a constant drumbeat on terrorism, but the method didn't begin yesterday.

If there are those who want to take this country completely over, they will need another huge, tragic event of one sort or another allowing them to manipulate enough other people to gain total control. It has worked before. Billions of dollars have gone into seemingly a black hole in Iraq. Nobody knows to whom or where it all went. Is it preparing for that something else, something much worse?

Currently there are 20,000 people in that Blackwater military group. Would those members be citizens of this country first or believers in Blackwater and a hidden group who could be behind a lot of events for which someone else gets blamed. Those who became members of the Gestapo in Germany probably never imagined they would do what they ended up doing. It's a gradual process that dehumanizes people for what they see as a greater cause, a cause that lets them forget morality as they originally might have believed it to be.

So what do I think about the film Zeitgeist? Well my uncertainty is why I hesitated to write about it again and might not of had I not had the dream. The film effectively presents a lot of ideas, suggests certain things as fact that either are not or are still debatable. One problem I have with any group with strong opinions is they cherry pick what suits their cause and often prefer to not double check anything that works in their favor.

Despite my reservations about it, I think Zeitgeist is worth watching mainly because it makes the viewer think-- it demands it! That is the main thing that I think everyone should be doing. Quit letting someone else tell us what is truth. Research new ideas. Be open to having been wrong. I believe Zeitgeist encourages thought.

The word zeitgeist means-- the spirit of the time; the spirit characteristic of an age or generation. So if the film makes its viewers stop and think what is it sweeping our times, it will be good for anyone to see. If it has someone thinking they can trust it to do their thinking for them, it will not be good.

Here are some questions from it: Is fear today being used to gain total domination over others? Who benefits from such fear? How far would they go to gain total power? Do they value human life at all or is something else more important? Who can you really trust for truth? Just remember fear and ignorance are the tools of dictatorships. Is our country on that path?

Anything that gets people to stop and think, about what is the zeitgeist of their time-- that has to be good. Too many people today want a leader, religious or political, to do their thinking for them. In my opinion, that is most definitely not good.

You can see Zeitgeist online through YouTube, at its own site, or you can order the DVD for $5 to decide for yourself what you think about its claims. The question I come back to is-- supposing it's right, what can we do now? My dream didn't give me the answer.

11 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I am open to looking at "Zeitgeista". it concerns me that my 15 year old granddaughter is studying population bell curves and her writing assignment does not require her to have a beginning thesis that she must support with her finding facts. Instead she wrote glittering generatlity upon glittering generality. The whole course was geared to doing well on part of a college credit test. I think she must write an essay to get credit and problably shouldn't get credit unless she learns to think out what she writes. But she might glide by without the thinking. So here is a micro -incident of what is happening to thinking.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm. Zeitgeist.
German word?

I thought that the only German word which §1959 allows//////requires you to use was 'Siegheil' :-(


Stu
http://www.savory.de/blog.htm

Rain Trueax said...

That's what the dictionary told me, Stu... From the german with Zeit meaning time and Geist meaning spirit

Rain Trueax said...

and funny on S 1959 which I hope nobody forgets about!

Your comment on schooling today is good also parapluie. That was one of the points that Zeitgeist makes is that the dumbing down of America is not accidental. It serves a purpose to see people sitting in front of a TV and not thinking beyond mindless entertainment

Dick said...

I am not familiar with that movie and not sure I want to bother to watch it. One of my favorite authors is Nelson DeMille and his latest book to come out as a pocketbook is called, "Wild Fire" and it is about a group of powerful people who want to - well, read the book. Do you remember "Dr. Stranglove," the Peter Sellers movie from the mid-60s? There are some similarities but this seems like it could happen now.

Here in Skagit County we were not badly affected by the storm earlier this week. The Olympic Mountains act as a shield for us giving some protection from storms from the SW. Lewis County south of us was very hard hit. One dairy farmer lost all but one of his cows, nearly 200 lost.

I didn't know people who do not have a Google account could no longer post comments here. When did that start? That sure explains where some of those I used to hear from but blog with WordPress or one of the others have not visited recently. The counter shows quite a few visiting but the comment count is down. Maybe it is time to change?

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Thinking out an issue and coming to a creative meaningful conclusion and then gathering facts to support it can take days. I wonder if there are any high school level text books that teach this important lesson. Was my own high school education that unusual?

joared said...

There certainly is no question that the element of fear has been employed excessively to just about everything those who use it don't like or believe in.

Anonymous said...

I certainly have no answers either. But I'll check out the movie and see if I'd like to see it.
I believe America as a whole has become very lazy and greedy....they want what they want yesterday, and they're very willing to let the teachers, etc. raise their children. So I'm not surprised many want their political leaders doing their thinking for them as well. They do NO research, they don't dig deeper to try and find their own answers. Then factor in fear...and this is what we're left with. We have many less thinkers than we used to and THAT, I feel, is one of the major problems in this country! Say what you (I mean this in general) will about baby boomers, but I feel that generation questioned everything and in turn, caused a lot of thinking. Somehow, we seem to have lost an awful lot of questioning in this country. And the fear only gets stronger!
Terri

Rain Trueax said...

I believe that what we don't value, we lose and so much right now is being interpreted as 'patriotic' if it backs only a certain religious and worldview. It's scary but the biggest fear I have is that people prefer to remain ignorant because it makes them uncomfortable to go looking for what is really going on. There have been a lot of books out on this, as you mention, Dick, as well as many writers from the founding of this country. Actually even Biblically it warns of a one world government where you cannot buy or sell if you don't accept the mark of the beast which could well be a computer chip today!

Unknown said...

That was a very thoughtful blog on Zeitgeist. Many answers will be offered in the new ZEITGEIST Addendum. There are solutions, but those solutions involve a freer and more open mind than that is required of the first film.

We need to remember that not only is religion, 911, the war on terror all contrived farces to instate fear... the educational system and the media are also designed to make sure we are as in the dark as possible.

One point that needs to be realized is this. Scarcity. The fake scarcity of food, oil, water, and most importantly money.

Imagine what the poor must feel like seeing food in stores, empty apartments and the like. Why are they unable to have food and apartments? It's not as if there aren't any for them.

If we get rid of scarcity, we get rid of fear, and without scarcity, there is no reason for war.


Stay tuned.

Unknown said...

Don't forget about "Zeitgeist Day" March 15th

Over 500 public screenings worldwide:

http://zeitgeistmovie.com/zdayevents.htm