Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Pineapple Express 2007

The Pacific Northwest got hit by another Pineapple Express-- although at least on the coast, they called it a hurricane. In the Coast Range, it has been windy with at times heavy rains. What makes it a Pineapple Express is that you go from weather in the low 40s to the balmy high 50s or even 60° F in a matter of hours. You can almost smell the tropics on the wind.

Where I live, we have had limited flooding, roads blocked by downed trees or streams overflowing but our own stream is for now staying reasonably close to its banks. Not so true at the Coast or in Portland.

Being in Southern Oregon when the storm first came to shore, I was blessed to have the experience of seeing the storm nearly from border to border. Getting back to the farm, it was a relief to see that the worst damage occurred west and north of here.

I would put up some photos except there is nothing very pretty about a muddy river which is what our creek looks like right now.

One other note, I have been reading on other blogs that people who come here to comment are unable to do so without signing up for a free Google account which if they don't use Google as their search tool, they do not want to do. I don't like the policy but do understand Google is here to make profits. It is not a charitable organization but a business.

Eventually this type of blog will probably require a yearly payment but for now it's been free. If Google can't make a profit from blogs, one way or another, then they will be history. When I looked through the help sections on this, I didn't see anywhere that the author of a blog can get around this-- not even by paying a fee themselves. Of course, then authors would also have to decide if it was worth a monthly fee to have a blog at all.

It is possible this all has come about because of a relatively new feature for blogger, letting people receive email notices, as the owner has always had the ability to do, when new comments are posted on a topic they are interested in following. Blogger could still be in a tweaking stage; so if you have liked commenting here, do not like signing up for a Google account, check back once in awhile. Internet has a way of changing all the time-- one of its neat but also frustrating features.

I will miss those who choose to not come here or are now unable to comment but understand people's reluctance to sign up for something only needed to comment on certain blogs.

I have always allowed anonymous posts here, which is still functioning, at least for now. If someone wants to comment, but wants their link to bring other readers back to their own blog, then I would suggest putting their link at the end of their comment.

11 comments:

Ingineer66 said...

Glad that you have survived the "Express" unscathed. We got it here too. We went from needing to irrigate to minor flooding in one day.

Mary Lou said...

I just kept my haloscan account...at least for now. Until they discover I still have it.

Anonymous said...

Glad you have survived the storm OK, Rain, even if you have had flooding. Seeing the I-5 out up in Washington is really startling. My sis in Tumwater said it was like you describe, not the way Seattle got it. My son in P.A. hasn't checked in; I think he might be in Hawaii still at a conference.

By the way, I signed up at Google/Blogger ages ago and although I don't use their accounts, I do have access to having an identity. And I didn't pay anything. Here's hoping this goes through.

Anonymous said...

Yes that IS an annoying change by Bloogle/Goggler isn't it :-(

So I'm just going to try putting my URL in the 'Nickname' box.

Bear with me whilst I try that, we'll see if that works too (or not).

Stu Savory

Anonymous said...

As you know, I've come here often and have left many comments, but I'm one of the ones upset with this new change to Blogger.
I, myself, have Squarespace and do pay the fee of $17 per month for them to be administrators of my blog. I've been extremely happy with their service, so it's certainly worth it to me. I do believe Squarespace offers a free blog as well, with less features, but not sure about that.
I will still be coming to visit you, but feel if they need to make money then charge it at a nominal fee and let people leave their comments with blog URL, etc.
Really glad you weren't affected that much by the storm that whipped through there!
Terri

robin andrea said...

I thought about you when I heard how hard the Oregon coast was being hit. I'm glad everything is okay there. Interesting that you get the Pineapple Express. We always got that here in California. Balmy, rainy weather straight out of Hawaii. California could sure use the rain.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

Rain Trueax said...

It is frustrating what they have done and I am hopeful it's part of a change but it did seem to work for Stu to use his url in the nickname box. I don't know why the internet does this kind of stuff-- aiming to drive us crazy maybe? *s*

I looked to see if I could pay for a service from them that would enable commenters to just come in as they did before but there appears to be no such option right now.

Google has been always changing though; so maybe it'll improve with time and give more freedom to comment without the required signing up. Time will tell but meantime grrrrrrrr.

The other thing people can do is email me (another blog suggested this) and I will post your comment and your name.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Without tuning into the news, I would hardly know that we have record breaking floods in the Northwest. We only lost power for six hours.
I think your header photograph is perfect for your blog. I hope my comment gets posted.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to tell you yesterday that I really like your new banner head and look.

Maya's Granny said...

Just in case the flood leaves you with nothing to do, I've tagged you for a meme.