Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, December 31, 2007

Contemplation time-- or not

Usually I take the time between Christmas and New Year's to contemplate the year that is leaving and the one coming. I look over my intentions from the previous year, re-evaluate them for the coming one. I read books that will help me live a more meaningful way-- not self-help usually but memoir type books of how others have lived in ways that inspires me. It has been satisfying to spend that week doing 'inner' work and with the weather often either rainy or cold, looking outside further encourages inner contemplation.

This year was very different, with very little time for contemplating, as we had our family time the week-end after Christmas. Sunday there were 18 of us here-- 9 of them under the age of 16. Is there anything more satisfying than to see your family enjoying a big dinner and those at the tables running the gamut of recently born to elder? Well actually there may be some things, but this is definitely among them.

This was the first time I had fixed a big dinner for a houseful in a few years. There has always been pleasure for me in pulling together a lot of good food for a lot of people. I think it comes from watching my mother, grandmothers, and aunts do it. As a child our holiday dinners were always at least 20 with kids and adults everywhere. Usually they were not sit-down-at-a-table dinners but rather eat wherever you could sit, sometimes with what used to be more common-- TV trays-- or your lap. Depending on whose home, there might be a kids' table. I remember the cousin times with great fondness.

Yesterday I got to relive some of the feeling of those years with my brother's family and mine. I had pulled out three tables using my old lace tablecloths and some beautiful pink rose buds on each that I had bought for $9.99 at Safeway. Part of my enjoyment in doing such dinners comes from setting the scene. I didn't use the old china, silver, nor crystal because to be honest I didn't want to have to wash dishes before and after, nor polish silver. Love the old ways or not, I love my dishwasher.

Yesterday we had a kids' table. The second cousins ran around the house shrieking with laughter and doing all the things I remember so well. The women hung out in the kitchen, the men watched football and the meal came out wonderfully well-- ham, scalloped potatoes, cauliflower, salad, dinner rolls, two kinds of pie, lots of coffee and wine. All in all, it was a very satisfying day for me and I think everyone here.

So my contemplating time is pushed to the coming week when we will have entered 2008, which I hope will be a better year for the world. I mentioned before that numerologists say 2008 means a year of beginnings. I bought the We'Moon desk calendar book for '08 and they titled this Mending the Web. Maybe we can each do that within our own lives. Mending isn't always as much fun as sewing something new, but it's rewarding too as we repair something that has lost purposefulness.

Our earth purpose today has seemed to be heading more and more to greed, to some not caring what they do to others all to gain more power for themselves. We cannot totally stop such people before they do damage, but we can mend our own web and grow ourselves individually stronger and stronger with the energy that goes out from us being healing to the world. And if it can't heal the world, it will have at least worked good in our own little corner of it. Sometimes that is hard enough.

14 comments:

robin andrea said...

Happy New Year to you, rain. I too hope the new year is a better one for the world. I know I could use a break from the endless bad news. Time for a new view.

Your holiday gathering sounds like it was truly lovely and loving.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

How wonderful to be surrounded by your family...Cooking for so very many...Congratulations Rain....!
And I wush you the BEST of New Years, my dear. May 2008 be a WONDERFUL Year for you and for ALL those you hold so dear...!
See you next year!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I think all great changes start in small ways. What we do as individuals is part of the big whole and makes a difference. See it works in families passing on from generation to generation.
In reference to numerology saying that 2008 is a year of beginnings. This prediction pleases me because I had the same notion and am very happy to move on.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Your delayed Christmas sounds absolutely idyllic and I can sure identify with the kids table where I always sat when I was a kid. My place now has room in the dining area only for the dining table seating up to 10, and the few kids who come want to be right with us--but we have fewer gathering than you did.

I saw the We'Moon calendar in Borders last week but decided I would wait until they drop the calendar prices next week. Mending, hmmm. I've got to think about that.

My wish for you, your husband and family is a healthy and happy 2008.

Suzann said...

Happy New Year Rain - blessings to you and your family in this next year.

Mary Lou said...

Happy New Year Rain! I have not had time to sit and ruminate either. And probably wont for the coming few weeks. ARRGGH

I thought when you retired you had all KINDS of time! HAAAAA!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Rain and may God bless you !!

Anonymous said...

Dear Rain, Happy New Year to you and your family. Your dinner sounds wonderful. I share the same love for cooking for my whole family and seeing everyone around the table with cousins shrieking in the background. May 2008 bring more opportunities for family love and breaking bread.

joared said...

Happy New Year wishes for you and family!

Anonymous said...

"... if it can't heal the world, it will have at least worked good in our own little corner of it. Sometimes that is hard enough."

And sometimes that is good enough. Let's just hope enough of us can make a difference in our little corners that collectively it begins to matter on a larger scale.

Rain, I wish for you and yours a healthy, safe, and peaceful year...

Sandy said...

Wishing you and your family all the very best in the New Year Rain. Your dinner sounds as though it was very relaxing and extremely enjoyable! I enjoy doing the same although ours happened on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and last night, New Years Eve.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful gathering.
And now....time for the contemplation.
Wishing you all good things in this brand new year.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Joy Des Jardins said...

Happy New Year Rain....much love and joy ahead....and many inspired posts.

Anonymous said...

I just read your article on Blogger: Rainy day thoughts - Post a Comment and want to thank you for it.