Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, November 02, 2007

Camp Sherman

From the time I was a young adult, until now as an old woman, always the Metolius River has been a constant in my life. Not a place I physically visit all the time but one that is in my heart.

It might be a vortex, not that anyone local would probably think to call it that. If vortex means place where good energy joins, it is definitely one. I have gone there with sorrow, with joy, with needing some life solutions, and always it has enhanced my life and helped me.

The first time I walked along its banks, you could walk right down to its headwaters, kneel on the rocks and scoop up some of the water to drink. The headwaters, about a mile from where these photos were taken, are a spring that bubbles up out of the ground already a river.

Scientists have debated from where all that water comes. This is a volcanic region. When you look at the skyline of the Cascades, you see many snow covered peaks, they and many lesser ones are volcanoes with the potential for erupting again in the case of four of them (Mount Hood, Crater Lake, Newberry, and South Sister). Everywhere you see reminders of earlier eruptions of even the lesser volcanoes, like Black Butte, which is near the Metolius. This is an arid land but a place of a few big rivers and many lakes-- all impacted by its history.

Some say the water that forms the Metolius percolates through lava from Black Butte. Others have suggested Crater Lake. I favor my own theory that it comes from Middle Earth because it is a place of magic.

I have ridden horses along its banks (before the nearby stable closed down), camped in tents and trailers, stayed in cabins, hiked, waded (for about a minute as that is really cold water), taken photographs, watched the salmon come up to lay their eggs, sketched, and enjoyed its beauty from snow to wildflower seasons. It has seen my own life change from the season of carrying my babies here, watching my children splash in the water, seeing them turn into adults, and now knowing my grandchildren likewise can enjoy its special gifts.

Once in awhile I wish I could own one of the cabins that are in a few places along its length, under the tall pines, peaceful with the constant sound of a river out your window. Most are on forest service land; so they aren't easy to come by. Families generally pass them down through their families or friends as who would want to give one up?

Here are some fall photos from there on October 22nd with a water ouzel as the only resident visible that morning. Summer finds a lot of people on the Metolius, camping, fishing, hiking, but winter is quiet.

This time, I particular loved seeing the tamaracks with their golden color. We don't have them in western Oregon and they are so pretty not to mention unique as the only conifer that drops its needles in the fall.

(Regarding land use, one of the concerns has been development of a large resort [or two] on what has been timberland a few miles from here. It would not be on the banks of the Metolius, but one would have to be foolish to not realize thousands of homes and a huge golf course would not impact its usage. Some would say that would be good. I think it's very special as it is and where not everyone can live nearby or on its banks, all can visit-- if they choose to do so, and enjoy its magic for a time-- which is the best way to enjoy magic anyway. Sometimes in trying to possess something, we destroy it.)

If you are feeling harried and hassled by the pressures of life, take a moment with these photos. Click on them, as I believe even through a photo, you can get a sense of the peace the Metolius gifts to those who spend time along its banks.

8 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Wow! I want to go too!! I have Mt Baker and the Skagit River as my talisman. I feel so energized going there. It too is volcanic. I am drawn to the volcanoes, THere is such energy both physical and spiritual in them.

Anonymous said...

Your photos show as beautiful and peaceful a place as I've ever seen. Such special places are getting quite scarce in this country, but if there is a buck to be made, the developers will show up and do it. They fail to understand that there is nothing they can do to "develop" or "enhance" a place, but only to ruin it.

robin andrea said...

What a beautiful place, rain. I see why you are drawn to it, and why it lives in your heart. Up in Washington, we like to walk the little Chimicum Creek down to the tidal estuary. The salmon run there too. Now that we are in California for the winter, we hear the waves at night. It is like the earth's hearbeat.

Crafty Green Poet said...

beautiful words and photos, it looks like a lovely place. The water ouzel looks like a lovely bird too!

Anonymous said...

The energy easily flows through your photos. A truly gorgeous area, Rain. Sounds like my kind of place.
And here's hoping that foolish people will never step in and try to change it. A place like that begs to be preserved and all the wonderful magic and energy with it.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

This post brings back happy memories of being on the Metolius first with my parents and then with you. I am wanting to go back.

Dick said...

It is a beautiful place. A spring that can deliver that much water is amazing. I grew up in the Spokane area & my idea of "out in the woods" is more like that of east of the Cascades where you can walk through the woods rather than ours here on the west side where everything has been logged at least once so there is a heavy underbrush growth. I miss that openness.

joared said...

You write about all this quite invitingly. Yes, I've enjoyed the peace of streams, rivers, lakes, woods, forests with nature's sights and sounds. I've seen the influx of population sap the energy of sites -- think Sedona, AZ when I first visited there in the '60s compared to today.

What is wrong with this picture that golf courses and resorts are built into spectacular nature areas just a few can enjoy, but only after paying a pretty penny to use a stick to knock a little round ball trying to make it go into a hole in the ground? I'm not anti-golf, I'd just like to see those resorts kept from co-opting so many of natures special places.

Is this what every generation feels as we encroach on and violate more and more of nature?