Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, September 30, 2007

Gardeners are nice people

Okay, maybe all gardeners aren't but, in my experience, it has seemed they are. There is just something about those who grow plants that makes them inherently nice as they desire to share their produce, their seeds, their knowledge. Perhaps close proximity to plants mellows one or is it the soil? Well whatever it is, over and over again, in my life, I have been blessed by their bounty.

In Palo Alto, at least the area where I was staying, the homes are generally moderate in size, craftsmen, Spanish in influence, bungalows-- their gardens lush with flowers and the streets narrow with often no sidewalk but many tall trees. I love it. This part of Palo Alto, a mile or so from Stanford University, has an aura of uniqueness, of intellect, of peacefulness-- even though only a few blocks off the busy El Camino Real.

The house to the right looked to be owner designed, maybe built, and to the right of it was a small set of pens for either goats, chickens or even sheep. Unoccupied at the moment, they looked well kept and ready for a future resident.

There are other Palo Altos-- the ritzy one, the poor one; but I am writing about the in between one. By in between, that doesn't mean inexpensive. Even small houses with little lots can easily run half a million dollars or more, but that doesn't mean it's not in between-- for where it is.

On this particular walk, I had headed out into the back streets and hadn't taken my camera. I got about three blocks from the motel and remembered it. Okay, I thought, it won't matter. What can I see that I just have to photograph? I found it one block farther and turned around. The day was hot. Did I mention that? I wasn't eager to go back to the motel, but I simply had to photograph these gorgeous, deep, deep red, almost exotic looking flowers. From a distance, from their colors, I had thought perhaps they were chili peppers but they were not.

As I was angling the camera for one more photograph, I heard the clear, masculine voice-- May I help you? He walked over from a side yard as I said-- yes, what are these flowers? I haven't seen anything like them.

I am not sure what he thought I had been doing; but as soon as he heard the question, he was eager to tell me all about them. Amaranthus, he said. No, they wouldn't be limited to the temperate region around Palo Alto. He felt confident I could grow them. Despite their height, they are annuals which will reseed every year. He said some might consider them weeds, but they are easy to control. They are also edible.

We talked awhile longer about this and that, and then he said, would you like some seeds? Would I like some seeds? I had been wondering whether my local seed store would have them, trying to remember the correct spelling he had told me. I was happy when he cut off a flower head, put it in a sack and even added a few seeds for a yellow amaranthus.

Later research online told me Amaranthus are also called Love-lies Bleeding. How could one not love a flower with such a name? They are used by the Hopi for their red dyes (possibly Navajo also as I see that same shade of red in my Navajo rug colored by natural dyes), were used by the Aztec in some of their ceremonies, and have appeared in poems. Whatever drew me down the right block to see them and brought that man out to take time to tell me about this beautiful plant, I have been enriched.

Gardeners are nice people.

9 comments:

robin andrea said...

Yes, gardeners are nice people. It's the time spent around the plants, the soil, the seasonal cycles. It's paying attention, nurturing, watering, weeding, mulching, cleaning. Gardening is like a meditation. Wonderful amaranthus.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Wonderful amaranthus! I want to know more. Who eats them and how do they prepare them? I do believe the Barking Dog Organic Produce Stand in Kernville, Oregon near Lincoln City has them growing by the parking entry to their beautiful building that is a work of art to behold.

Sandy said...

What a wonderful story! We have amaranthus in our garden here and see it in different places around town so I do believe you will have great luck in growing them as well.

Joy Des Jardins said...

What gorgeous flowers Rain. You know...I think you're right. I never met a gardener I didn't like....very down to earth...hahahaha.

Anonymous said...

I found Amaranth growing at Tohono Chul when I went to view the Night Blooming Cereus this year. I put the link to my picture at flicker as my web page url.

They were in the garden plot for edible foods the desert provides.

Maya's Granny said...

There is something so soothing and civilizing about caring for a garden, which will reward you with beauty and/or food, and which can not care for itself in many ways. As Robin said, the plants, the soil, the seasonal cycles are like a meditation.

Rain Trueax said...

thank you for the photo, aenodia. That is a beautiful picture of that gorgeous plant. When I am in Tucson, I live near Tohono Chul and will make sure I go looking next trip there. Thanks for the tip.

And I do think you were right on, Robin, about why gardening makes people nice. The qualities are what we need for our lives. It is very grounding... for wont of a different word *s*

thanks to all for your comments. As always, they are appreciated, add to my enjoyment in writing on something.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning!!! rainydaythought.blogspot.com is one of the most excellent informational websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. rainydaythought.blogspot.com rocks!

Anonymous said...

The author of rainydaythought.blogspot.com has written an excellent article. You have made your point and there is not much to argue about. It is like the following universal truth that you can not argue with: What you don't know you don't know will always dwarf what you know, but so will what you don't know you know. Thanks for the info.