Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, August 26, 2007

Water water everywhere

Well not really. Water in Eastern Oregon can be found eventually most everywhere but is appreciated and savored more than in some parts of the country where it's more plentiful.

Some of the lakes, like Abert (to the left), are saline where the only thing living under its surface are brine shrimp which is just fine with migrating birds as well as the seabirds that appear to live there year round.

There are small mountain lakes, little rivers that become big ones, tanks that only have water after a rain or snow melt, lots of irrigation of pastures, and many opportunities for a photographer, who is into water, to find good photo opportunities.

This trip I was not at any of the big impressive lakes or rivers, like the Deschutes or Wallowa Lake, but nonetheless did get photographs which are presented here in no special order. They could be anywhere.

For me, it's the small things, the vignettes, the reflection that attract most. Yes, where it comes to scenery, grandiose landscapes are soul stirring; but it's the little things that we sometimes miss and can be most rewarding (damselfly was on the Middle Fork of the John Day. The water beneath it was so clear as to seem invisible).


When I was in Shaniko, eating lunch on a picnic table, I was drawn to get a photo of a dragonfly as it flitted here and there. I bent over, I tried this angle or that to get its picture. Click click and only capturing the hose when an older man, who had walked onto the boardwalk, just had to know. "What are you taking a picture of?"

It was only then that I realized what it must look like to see a woman taking a photo of hoses. I told him a dragonfly but do you think he believed me? More likely thought strange woman. (I included its photo even though it's not quite in focus and it's not really a water picture unless hose and green lawn equal water.)

3 comments:

Dick said...

Our eye & brain combination can look at a large landscape and take it all in but when we try to do that with a camera it is very difficult to get the same feeling across to the viewer. It is usually best to think & look "smaller" at things that are not as vast, with our cameras. You are doing a very good job with yours.

Mary Lou said...

I am absolutely enjoying "our" trip through Eastern Oregon. I Really LOVE the Blue Mountains, and all the history there, I especially like the La Grande area.

Unknown said...

I, too, enjoy the continuing travelog since I haven't been there. The terrain you describe, however, reminds me of some of the area out of Bishop/Mammoth area on 395. Especially Mono Lake. I love this cow picture, by the way.