Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, August 17, 2007

Oregon


This very primitively drawn (and definitely not geographically exact) map is of Oregon with the route about which I will be writing in red. When many people think of Oregon, they think of Western Oregon and the Willamette Valley, the area where I was born, grew up and still live. This is a place of tall trees, valleys, small farms, snow capped volcanic peaks, mountain ranges with many rivers, and salmon. This kind of terrain encompasses about 30% of the state.

Along the Coast, between the Coast Range and the Cascades, and along the drainages of the Willamette, McKenzie, Umpqua, and Rogue rivers, you have most of the population. When you add in Central Oregon, which is the other side of the Cascades from Salem and is mostly drained by the Deschutes and Crooked River, that's about it for traffic, jobs, homes, and people.

That leaves two-thirds of the state which most will only drive through on a highway and do it about as fast as they can. Few will drive or hike up into the beautiful mountain islands, sit alongside the little streams, canoe the lakes, or raft the river rapids. You can travel some of these two-lane highways and maybe only see ten cars in two hours. Eastern Oregon is a land of sagebrush seas until you climb into the mountains or dip into the canyons and then it's a land of surprises, remnants of the past, big ranches, and small towns sometimes holding on by the skin of their teeth waiting for the next wave of new dreamers.

Over the next couple of blogs, my photos will all be from Eastern Oregon as I try to describe part of a place I have visited many times, never lived, but always loved.

For a real map, this is a good source for any state-- satellite image

5 comments:

robin andrea said...

I once went rock-hounding out in John Day country about 30 years ago. I never forgot the quiet beauty out there. It was truly wild and stunning. I am looking forward to more pics of your journey. I like stirring up the memories.

Kay Dennison said...

I can't wait to see the photos. I think most states have their areas that get the most attention or, like my state of Ohio, get ignored. Sigh

Suzann said...

I am excited to see your pictures, Rain. I love Oregon - I spent nine months living on the coast in 1969 and have always wanted to return to Oregon. It will be wonderful to "explore" eastern Oregon with you.

Unknown said...

This is another great idea, Rain. It makes your trip far more real. I haven't spent much time in Eastern Oregon, I'll admit. My rental car has Oregon plates, by the way.

Dick said...

My Great Grandfather came west with his family in 1845 to settle outside Salem. He came on a wagon train that was led by the not so famous Meek brother who thought they could head west across Eastern Ore & cross the Cascades into the Willamette Valley, avoiding the dangerous rafting trip down the Columbia River. He was right but was way ahead of his time as there was no potable water out there, only highly alkaline stuff. The people on the train revolted & insisted on heading north to the river, hitting it at about Biggs Junction, where US 97 is now.

There is an interesting book about that trip, published by the U of Oregon, called, "The Terrible Trail."