Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, July 30, 2007

the owl and the full moon

Early Sunday morning a sound from the garage told the farm boss that his not closing the outside door until after dark had let something in that could not get out. He went outside, came back for the camera and went out again. A barn owl was on one of the rafters in the back of the garage and no matter how he tried to encourage it to leave, the combination of daylight and its fear caused it to only burrow deeper into the walls and go to places he could not access.

After breakfast, having left the garage door open, he decided it had flown off. That assumption lasted until after going to bed Sunday night. I heard definite sounds of something moving in either the garage or the attic above the bedroom-- which has access from the garage. Grumbling, but resigned, the boss got back up, saw where it was but could not determine if it had trapped itself in the wall. He pried off boards outside on the eaves to create an escape hole. Although he could see its talons, knew it was there, it wouldn't come through.

Whether this owl thought that garage would make a nice home, or was simply petrified, the boss decided there was only one way to get any sleep. He pulled on a heavy shirt, leather gloves, safety goggles and went back out to get hold of it. When he came down, he said get the camera. After it posed for the requisite photos, it was released, flapped its beautiful wings as it flew off into the night-- hopefully in search of a better home.

This was our second close encounter with a barn owl as some years ago we had been on our way into town after dark when we saw one sitting alongside the road on the shoulder. It hadn't behaved normally. We had decided, if it was still there as we drove back, it likely meant it had been hit by a passing vehicle, and we would see if we could pick it up. It was; and with a heavy blanket, we did.

As soon as we had gotten home, stowed it safely into one of our cat carriers, we called the animal rescue facility, Chintimini in a town about 25 miles from here, where we knew they worked with wild creatures. They said
bring it right in to assess its chances. An hour later, they were giving it treatment for shock and had said they felt it would survive but it had a concussion. Fortunately its wings were unhurt.

After a few weeks, they had called to tell us we could come get it and release it back to where we found it, which we did, being blessed to watch the same beautiful thing as it flew into
the night.

Last night, with the owl excitement over, I looked up and saw the interesting way the full moon was highlighting the clouds. I remembered it likely had been behind the owl photos but doubted that would show much. I put on the telephoto. In the back of my mind, I was thinking about how I might melt two photos together-- but in the morning.

After breakfast, when I opened the pictures, I found some beautiful moon shots, and the lit clouds were even better than I had hoped. I also had one very clear owl photo.

Finding my favorite moon shot, I cropped it to the center of interest; then turned to the owl photos. One was rather small, one out of focus, but one was perfect. I reduced it to a size that would fit with the moon, used the mask tool to draw around its image, cropped it, and pasted it onto the moon photo. It only took a tiny bit with clone and smudge tools to make them one.

Together they create a mystical image that appeals to me. Poetry anyone? *s*

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do those barn owls know that we don't know ??

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

The owl picture is a winner. They have the look of wisdom.

Anonymous said...

The poetry is in the incredible photo you created with the owl and the full moon! Really spectacular, Rain. Just loved it. And I love owls. We have a lot of those here on the island too. Right along with a huge amount of bats.

Sandy said...

Very,very cool picture Rain!

Ingineer66 said...

That is really neat. Glad to see the farm boss wearing safety glasses. Many people would not have thought of that.

Kay Dennison said...

The photo is wonderful, Rain!

Anonymous said...

Great story and pics. Owls are wonderfully strange creatures. I suppose it is because their eyes are on the front of their head, like ours, and not on left and right like other birds, that we consider them to be "wise". We have an owl sanctuary here that I should write about.

robin andrea said...

What a fantastic story, rain. The photos are just beautiful, and that last one is spectacular. It's amazing the encounters we have with wildlife, isn't it? This one with the barn owl is truly grand.

Mary Lou said...

COOL!!!! I have never seen a Barn Owl, But I have tons of barred owls and great horned owls.

Rain Trueax said...

I am glad you all liked the pictures and sharing of the event. So one thing they know, Paul, that we don't is they can swivel their heads nearly clear around. If you can do that, let me know :)
The eyes on the front probably are what make them seem different than other birds as you mentioned, Winston.

In the mystic owl photo, which was not intended to be a nature shot but rather a symbolic one, you have the mists of the clouds, the darkness around, the brightness of a powerful full moon and then the almost supernaturally illuminated owl, bathed in the wisdom of another spiritual dimension, looking right at you; thus the illusion is indeed that he knows things we do not.

It's not hard to figure out why shaman and other spiritual leaders have adapted the image of the owl for their shaman garb. That owl could be a shape-shifted such shaman.

Because I have had two such animals come into my home recently-- the bat and the owl-- it made me question what might something in the spiritual world be trying to communicate to me. Bats do not see and owls don't see well either. they both depend on their other senses to know where they are going. I think perhaps for me, it's to trust my intuition right now, not try to trust what I can see. I have quite a few such unusual events in the last few months which is making me feel 'okay I get it but now what do I do with it?' I am not dismissing them though and trying to see how they all fit together. It would be easier for mystics perhaps :)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a BEAUTIFUL Owl, and two great story's my dear...! I love how you got such a fabulous picture of the moon, and then married those two images....Really lovely!

If you get a chance, stop by and see the Hummingbirds that have been gracing my life these days...

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Fabulous picture and story, Rain. I love the way the owl is protecting itself behind its folded wing. What an extraordinary creature. Maybe it will keep coming back to thank you both for rescuing it.

Anonymous said...

Rain I admit-here and now- that I can swivel my head. I learned how to do it as a child living in a bar in Texas. :-)

Anonymous said...

Fascinating story and great photos, too. I have definitely never seen a barn owl that I'm aware of. I just don't want the owl calling my name--or yours.

Nathan Buck said...

Rain,

I was looking up owl sanctuaries in the Pacific Northwest (I would love to visit one someday), and I stumbled upon your blog and this entry. So beautiful, your experiences with the barn owls! I just read the first book in a great children's fantasy series....the series is called Guardians of Ga'Hoole and Book 1 is The Capture. The protagonist, Soren, is a young barn owl.

Warmest Regards,
Nathan

Suby said...

Hi saw your picture which is beautiful and was guided to write these words. Also have you seen the owl in the clouds to the right of his head.

My visit came from spirit as one in the night
My words of wisdom are to bring messages of love and light
Life is the given that we all must follow for without this there is no tomorrow
May your worries and doubts be naught but a thought as we guide and support you through all that is fraught
Take care of your hopes and dreams and know that reality is not what it seems. Dreams are reality and reality is our dreams.
The vision of hope resides in us all we have only to quiet our mind and listen for the call.