Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, July 12, 2007

Canoeing on Klamath Lake

When I was a little girl, I learned to swim in a small mountain river. I still remember that first time swimming across to the rocks on the other side. It was a goal and an accomplishment that felt so good. I've swum and been on lakes, rivers and the ocean in motorboats, ferries, rowboats, inflatable rafts, dories, but never in a canoe. I always admired canoes, their beauty, quietness, grace as they glide through the water. Both of my kids and their families canoe. I can't quite say why I never had, but that changed on Klamath Lake.

Canoes are as graceful as I imagined. Getting a feeling of balance took a bit of doing. I was fortunate the experience was on a lake, no current with which to deal, and my teacher (son-in-law) was good at it. Other than possibly making a fool of myself, I wasn't afraid because I do swim well (not to mention life jackets). I want to get comfortable enough with the experience to swim out from the canoe-- and get back in when out on the water. Right now if I tipped it over, I'd have to tow it to shore to get back in.

Once past learning some of the basics, I loved how with a canoe you see paths. Even in the main lake, you look across to where you want to go and you see the way. When you are in marshes, the reeds part, water is entering the lake, you wonder how far does it go? How deep is it? It only has to be 10" deep according to our son-in-law.

You glide forward with each stroke of the paddle. If there is a photograph to take, you lay the paddle across the gunwales and hear the drip of the water as you absorb, seemingly through your whole body, the surrounding beauty and silence. Maybe it's because a canoe glides like the water birds, but it is as though I am part of all around me. The silence is broken only by the sound of the paddle dipping into the water-- unless a fish jumps, a beaver splashes off a bank, or a duck takes flight.

The water was so clear that I could look deep into it and see the fish swimming. Although I hoped to see a grebe down there on one of its dives, I was never in the right place-- or it was too smart for me. Up one of those lake 'paths', we stopped the canoes, found a shady spot, tied the two canoes together, let the grandkids swim, and my daughter and son-in-law opened a bottle of chilled white wine. Now that's my idea of roughing it.

A dream is the other side of the lake but in our subconscious. The path to it often isn't clear. It is frustrating when unfulfilled. We can get to thinking it might be better to forget it-- except, I believe in dreams. They are important for quality of life and we shouldn't lose track of what ours are.

Canoeing had been one of mine. Another involves riding a well-behaved horse, who loves me (even with fantasies I qualify), high into the mountains, pitching a tent by a lake where I swim, sketch, take photographs, lie in the sun, hike, maybe fish, and cook a simple meal over a little stove. (Romantic image or not, I've cooked over campfires and prefer Sterno stoves!) It's a dream that may remain a dream-- although you never know. Sometimes, as happened with me on Klamath Lake, dreams are fulfilled when we least expect it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to be a buzz-killer, but you're going to freeze your butt in that high mountain lake. That can be refreshing though.

Rain Trueax said...

Funny, AQ, but actually this time of the year, a lake like Klamath, with shallow, marshy ends, isn't that cold. I'd love to suggest I am hearty and showing my tough side in the swimming one, but in reality there are warm pockets and you swim high is the trick. I have swum in many mountain lakes and most are surprisingly warm by July-- except those where the snow just melted off the shores; but with them, the biggest worry is the mosquitoes carrying you off anyway :)

Ingineer66 said...

Cool post. I love canoing and kayaking peacefully around a lake. It is so relaxing and quiet, which is a switch for me, because my lake activities normally involve riding a waverunner or water skiing.

robin andrea said...

I've kayaked on Port Townsend Bay, and I think I would prefer canoeing around a mountain lake. Your description of it is so meditative, calm, and centering. Of course, that white wine sounds pretty good too!

Sandy said...

I LOVE how you describe dreams. It is so true. I'm so happy for you that you were able to fullfill this one. I too love being out on both lakes and oceans (rarely rivers) and have been on most everything and prefer either (on lakes), a canoe or a small boat. Ours has a small motor but I love to row given the chance. Good for you and thanks for sharing such a wonderful experience through your words, pictures and thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Lovely pics Rain! Looks like great fun. :)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

What a lovely memorable dream come true. I would like to make your experience my dream too.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures--especially the one of you in the boat with your glass of wine. I haven't been in a rowboat for so many years. Have you ever read Ann Linnea's Deep Water Passage? It's about her kayak trip around Lake Superior one summer--a real rite of passage.

Jackie's Garden said...

These are beautiful pictures, Rain, made me feel almost like I was on the lake. I always loved canoes. Your post made me think about being at camp when we were Camp Fire Girls. They made us stand on each end of the canoe and jump up and down until we tipped it over. Then we had to get it under it, and then get it right side up! It was fun then - wouldn't want to do it again. :-)

Joy Des Jardins said...

Gorgeous pictures Rain. I've never been in a canoe, but have always thought it would be so cool. It always seems so quiet and relaxing. Looks like you're really enjoying it.

Dick said...

When I was a kid we rowed all over Newman Lake (near Spokane.) I couldn't wait to grow up to a motorboat. Now I'd a lot rather sail or row than use a power boat, at least for recreation. The pleasure is usually more in the travel than in the arriving.

Kay Dennison said...

What a lovely, thoughtful post, Rain! And the photos are breat-htaking!