Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, June 03, 2007

It's a matter of trust

The baby in the nest was so cute. It peeped out and waited patiently for its parents to return with food (the white crest on its head says it is a cliff swallow). I took the pictures last week. Then yesterday, one of the sets of three cliff swallow nests had fallen to the floor of the barn, crumbled into unrecognizable chunks. The only signs left were the circles on the ceiling and little babies scurrying for shelter under some large round bales.

Those nests had been so beautiful but the heat came, the clay dried, the metal flexed, the nests popped loose. The babies had feathers; they might survive. Maybe the parents will hear them on the ground and still feed them-- just long enough. Maybe.

That barn is supposed to have hay bales stored there-- 60 thousand pound bales arriving this week-end for the winter feed. Rain comes on Tuesday. The cattle need to have that feed without mold. Can a rancher reasonably factor in a few baby birds?

The crumbled nests and the babies struggling to survive seemed to go together with something else I have been wrestling with this week-- the issue of trust. The nests were a disappointment, a symbol of something crumbling when it wasn't built on solid ground. We do that sometimes when we trust the wrong people.

Is it better to be a person who trusts or one who is skeptical? The baby birds had no choice in it. They were born from parents who did the best they could with where they situated them. Many birds have nests around the barns and they are still there, still providing a safe haven. The swallows followed their instincts; except this time, it didn't work. Will they build again in the same place, use those rings to attach new nests, or will they move on?

Basically I am a trusting person. If you tell me something about yourself, I will believe you until something gives me reason to quit believing. Perhaps this has been because the people close to me have been mostly trustworthy. I grew up with parents who didn't lie. I am not naive though and do realize it's not always that way.

Some years back,
when I frequented a certain 50s chat room, there was a man who said he was a hunchback. The people who chatted there had no reason to disbelieve him. Why would anyone say such a thing if it was not true? Because of his misshapen body, he told me he avoided going out in the daytime for fear of being abused by others. Perhaps he wanted sympathy, and he got it-- falsely. Someone who eventually met him said he wasn't handicapped other than obviously emotionally.

Internet makes lies easy, but it happens in 'real time' also. Years ago, a friend of mine was dying of cancer. During one of her bad spells, I sat at her bedside to comfort her, got her water to drink, tried to think of things to say that would be helpful. Someone else who was less gullible and knew more about cancer realized she was lying which the woman finally admitted to all her friends and the church that had mostly been believing her lies. I don't know why she lied, maybe a sickness of a differ
ent sort, a need for attention. I also don't know why I never thought to disbelieve her.

On the swallows, we will get involved in the nest problem by nailing up a couple of wooden nest boxes and some shelving below the existing mud nests. None of that will help the little ones that fell to the earth too soon. If they aren't fed by their parents while on the ground, if they can't survive long enough to learn to fly, they are doomed.

We can feel the same way when we find someone important to us has betrayed our trust. Do we try to build again in the same place? Do we move on?

We, as humans, are both the babies and the parents. We wait for what others bring us needing to trust. We are also the ones who bring nourishment to others and they need to be able to trust us.

(The nest is one of several in the equipment shed. The pair on the line are most likely their parents-- Brewer's Blackbirds.)

11 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I too give my trust easily and probably shouldn't. At times I am more trusting than others. The biggest trust is marriage in my life. And then there is the trust we have in the chair we will sit in and the roof over our head. These trusts we take for granted until they give way.
Great picture. The shape of the nests is beauty at the highest aesthetic.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Poor baby birds....It is heartbreaking always when I see a nest that is destroyed and little or no evidence of the baby's that were there....I love your anology Rain...Like you, I think I err on the side of trust, that is, I don't think I am by nature a suspicious person and I am always shocked when I discover I have been lied to and/or have put my trust is someone or something that turns out to be a false person or situation. But I rather approach things with trust, than not. I see so much cynicism around and I think it does come from lack of trust. Maybe those people are correct in being cynical or...they would say cautious. But....well, it is or can be a dilemma.
Those dear birds trusted that the nest was built in a good safe place....I love that you have built something now to help them or another bird couple to build a safer nest and trust that it won't crumble away...

Anonymous said...

The issue of trust is a very interesting one. I have to say, I trusted a whole heck of a lot more in my younger days. The older I get, the less I trust.
I think our government taught us a lesson on trust.
Remember on the news about the woman who lied to her community and pretended her daughter had cancer? Sick people. But many trusted her.
Call me cynical........

Anonymous said...

:)Awwwww! The way you describe trusting is an outstanding one. :) Thank you for sharing such wonderful photo's with us! GREAT POST!
*HUGS*

Mary Lou said...

I am trusting to a fault. I believe everything until It socks me in the face, and then I never trust that source again. I am not naive enough to think that everyone I have met on the internet is actually who they say they are, but until they prove otherwise I do trust. I put myself out there and assume others do the same.

I just was raised to trust. I am not a sucker though. I know there are wolves in the woods!

Kay Dennison said...

I do hope & pray that mama & papa try to save their darling babies.

I tend to trust far too easily, too. although in recent years I've developed trust issues and they've become somewhat intense of late.

I don't like it but it's there & I guess I have to work through it.

joared said...

A sad story about the baby birds, but you are resolving their problem as best you can. Your story is an interesting way to approach the subject of trust, that can be an issue for me, too. Hard to know sometimes where to draw the line between trust and healthy skepticism. Even using our best judgement, we can make mistakes at times; human nature, I guess. But I don't ever want to become jaded and not be trusting to a degree.

Armistead Maupin wrote a book about a trusting experience you might find of interest. The story was later made into a movie titled "The Night Listener" starring Robin Williams. I wrote about it in one of my movie posts, if you're interested.

Rain Trueax said...

I will look for Night Listener, Joared, and please always feel free to link to your blog when you have written something that relates to the topic here. I think people, who have taken the time to get to comments, enjoy reading other people's take on the subjects.

Anonymous said...

I follow my instincts and trust most everyone, to a certain degree. My instincts don't often fail me, but if I find I've misplaced trust in someone - I rarely will trust that person again. I am pretty gullible, too, but I guess I'd rather be this way than be cynical.

The internet opens up a 'whole nother can of worms'. I'm more aware of people's opportunities to fabricate, online, about who and what they are. I guess I still trust most everyone is being 'real' - but I won't go bet my life on it! :-)

Anonymous said...

I read the post about the sheep first and then this one about the baby birds and their nests next. Both the topics were so much about safety. As for trust, I'm like you--initially I trust people. But, I also know that on the Internet, you can't see the body language feel the energy, or see the aura. I'm far more cautious in cyberspace.

I hope your babies survived and I'm glad you will build some nest boxes. Living on a farm is like living life in microcosm--so many metaphors to living in general, but far more pure and basic on the farm.

Anonymous said...

I think one must be one who trusts -- but is strong and resilient enough to bounce back when disappointment nearly inevitably comes. To be cynical and untrusting is not the way I want to be in the world. But we do so often disappoint and hurt one another -- flexibility and forgiveness are also necessary!