Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Night Journal

Every once in awhile a book comes along that speaks to me at a core level where I relate to the characters, feel their dilemmas, and emotionally connect to their lives, where I could imagine under different circumstances the characters could be me. The Night Journal by Elizabeth Cook speaks that way as it uses two points of view, blending together past, with words in a journal, to the present and the journal writer's great granddaughter.

Meg was raised by her grandmother, Bassie, who had compiled her own mother's extensive journals into famous books about early life in New Mexico. Meg resented her great grandmother Hannah's journals and the damage she believed they had inflicted onto her life to a point where she refused to read them. Only after she and Bassie go to New Mexico on a quest does she come to terms with her family heritage.

Good writing, believable central characters, a complex story, journaling, an elderly character you won't soon forget, history, the impact upbringing has on our lives, love stories, questions of infidelity, tragedy, mystery and hey, throw in the beauty and spirituality of New Mexico and for what more could you ask? (Don't dare dangle any prepositions around Bassie.)

From the 1890s to today, the story is accurate historically, full of interesting facts, but never loses the characters or plot in minutia. Hey, it's even political. For those who don't know the story of Mountain Meadow Massacre, you will when you finish the book and with a more human perspective than its simple historic fact. Add to it archaeology, and you have a fascinating book which I recommend to anyone who journals, who has worked to come to terms with who their ancestors were and how it impacts who they are today.

I always like to find a quote to go with a book review and one that seems most apropos for this one is--

"'The problem with the dead,' Bassie said, 'Is that they don't keep secrets. Eventually they tell on themselves.'"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lord....LIKE I need another book to read...lol I still have 6 or 7 patiently waiting on my shelf to be read.
But after your great review....I really can't pass this one up! I've written it down, so I can order it from Amazon. It sounds great, Rain, so thanks for this great review.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I can't wait to read this one. It will wet my appetite to see New Mexico.

Kay Dennison said...

I'm adding this to my long "must read" list! A wonderful review, Rain!!!! Thanks!!!

Sandy said...

It sounds like a book that I would enjoy very much!

Anonymous said...

Sweet Baboo and I have made several trips to NM and love the state dearly -- there's just something about the air and light and sparseness that appeals to us -- so I borrowed this book from the library after I had read your review. And of course I can't put it down -- I don't often buy books but this is definitely one that I will add to my collection!

Anonymous said...

Rain, I was just noodling around on google and saw your kind words about The Night Journal. Thank you so much for recommending the book to your friends. I always wonder where all those copies have ended up; I'm glad one found it's way into your hands. Take care... keep reading....warm regards,
elizabeth crook.