Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, April 13, 2007

Thinking Blogs

Since I have delayed my last blog on the desert by writing on other subjects, I will put it off one more time to take care of something that began when I was in Arizona. Nobody Asked honored me by listing mine as one of five blogs that make him think.

The idea for choosing thinking blogs comes from The thinking blogger award. After you have been chosen, you are to pass the honor onto five blogs that make you think. I have been 'thinking' on who would be on my list ever since.

I have never done a meme, but this one seems good because it introduces others to a blog they might never have visited and not based on simply enjoying them, which many do that for me, but on them making me think. At one time or another, all of the blogs I have linked alongside here have done just that. The problem I faced and the reason I put off compiling this list was how do I narrow it to five? Of course, that is also the challenge. So here are my five and not in any particular order. Another day, the list might change:

In Sacred Ordinary, Fran writes about spiritual thoughts, her daily life, her successes, her failures, and she does it all honestly and with deep insights. She is probably one of the most open bloggers I have read in that she tells both sides of her story. Her blog often has me considering the questions she brings up.

Nobody Asked has Winston discussing his thoughts, issues of the day but also sharing some very poignant and interesting stories of his own growing up years. Those stories are like pieces of a book. He has done some creative writing that can only be called mood pieces. Politically he often goes for the big issues and the small ones.

Time Goes By deals mostly with aging issues from Ronni, a woman who is in her own senior years. She does a lot of research, often discusses issues with which I have wrestled and presents them in a way to get all of us to think more deeply on things we may have been overlooking.

Dharma Bums, Robin Andrea and Roger, aren't posting as frequently these days but every time I visit their site, I find photographs of nature incorporated into lessons we can learn from life in their sometimes poetic analysis. They definitely have one of the most beautiful blogs, but it is also a thought provoking one.

The fifth choice was the hardest because there have to easily be ten blogs that I could put on this list; but because this must be five, my last one is:

Maya's Granny written byJoycelyn, who is in my age bracket and writes often humorous stories about her life through the years, her political thoughts (pulling no punches), and interesting bits about her life in Alaska. She is clearly a couragous woman in how she has lived her life and what she writes.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe my blog makes you think, but I am deeply grateful to be included, Rain. Wow! A few of the other blogs you mention, Ronni and Maya's Granny, are excellent. I'll check out the others. But, of all the blogs I read, it definitely is yours that makes me think the most.

Anonymous said...

How nice of you to include me. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

I am honored and humbled that you reflected this award back to me. I will not be repeating the listing of five who make me think, it has occurred to me that it might be interesting to tickle this for revival in a year and see what has changed, who is still there, who is making us think then.

I'll be checking out your awardees who I dont already know.

Mood pieces?

Joy Des Jardins said...

You made some great choices Rain...most are daily visits for me too.

RoseCovered Glasses said...

My compliments on your selection of "Thinking Blogs". I have enjoyed all of them.

Your subjects are meaningful and I enjoy your writing and photography.

Thanks for your contributions to the thinking blogger!

Ken

robin andrea said...

Thanks for including us on your list of Thinking Blogs. All blogs make us think in one way or another. It's why we go there. We won't be listing five blogs because there are too many we would have to leave off.

Sandy said...

Wonderful choices Rain, I'm sure, even though they are very good it was a bit of a chore for you to narrow it down to five, great job!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Congratulations on being selected. I enjoy your poetry, photography and painting and find your feedback on my creative writing in connection to my painting valuable as well as your opinions on current events.

Dick said...

I will check those I am not familiar with that are on your list. Your blog is always interesting and usually thought provoking, although I don't always agree with your points. Usually, but not always. But what a boring place this would be if we all agreed all the time, right?

Maya's Granny said...

Thank you so much for including me. It is a great honor.