Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, April 23, 2007

Commonsense?

Last week buried in the rush of information, regarding what happened at Virginia Tech, was a Supreme Court decision maintaining laws Bush and the Republican Congress had passed earlier blocking partial birth abortions. I had been mulling over what I would write about it. This morning, when I went to Ronni Bennet's blog Time Goes By, she had written most of what I was thinking.

Personally, I am not against blocking very late term abortions. I have a hard time understanding why they are needed. If you cannot make up your mind to have an abortion in the first 4 or 5 months, I think the rights of the baby grow as it does.

Mine is not a purist view, but I am not on many things. I use what I like to refer to as commonsense and can see where one thing might be okay, like a sliver of cheesecake but the whole cheesecake is not. Why this is considered namby-pamby is beyond me, but lately there is a whole cadre of people who feel it's all or nothing. In my opinion, while that might make a good song, it doesn't actually work in love or life.

The same all-or-nothing mantra is arising with gun control. I would be fine to make people apply for a license to buy any gun. I wouldn't object if they make buyers go through the same hoops I had to go through to get a concealed weapon permit. (The most recent killer might have been stopped from buying guns-- if anybody had bothered to record the things he had done-- if there was a good computer system to check all records. It however would not have prevented him from killing.) As a gun owner who intends to stay a gun owner, I also wouldn't mind seeing automatic and assault weapons limited, as to which citizens can purchase them, to those with a need-- like nobody. But it seems that is not okay to see an issue where some of some is okay, too much is not. We have gotten into a period where people want simple answers and yes or no is simpler than perhaps.

Anyway back to the abortion issue, of all the women I know who have had abortions, none chose it lightly, none forgot it, but most still believed that at the time it had been the right choice-- all were early abortions as are most. I see a fetus just beginning to grow as different than a full formed baby. Some see that as a sliding moral scale, but for me it's that commonsense again. It makes sense to me that abortions be legal until the fifth month. After that only when the mother's life is at stake; and even then, trying to save the life of the baby should be a factor when the baby is viable. That doesn't suit either extreme, but it's how I feel. Crushing the skull of a healthy, living baby in the womb makes no more sense to me than if it was done right after delivery.

I suspect late term abortions don't feel right to a lot of people; but they are afraid with a foot in the door, the whole right to choose will be thrown out. There is good reason for that worry. The current so-called Supremes (as many of us feared with Bush's election) now have at least four on the panel who want an eventual decision to block all abortions or send them back to the states to decide. That means in states, that see women as incapable of making this decision legally, women would again be forced into back alley abortions. It won't stop abortion but it could stop clean and safe ones.

That was bad enough but reading Justice Kennedy's tortured justification for his vote added to it. He said the decision was to defend women because they might regret their decision later. So his was not a legal decision but paternal one... Say what!

13 comments:

Dick said...

Perhaps all we need to do regarding gun control is to just pass a law that says it is illegal to not obey laws. Oh wait, many people don't care about that, do they? Most things already have enough laws that relate to them, if they were obeyed. Like it isn't a necessity to have a driver's license to drive a vehicle, only to do it legally. If people don't care about driving after they have been drinking, why would they worry about driving without a license or insurance?

The same thing can be extended to almost anything. There are those who will obey most of the laws most of the time and those who just don't care about any of them. Nothing one can do seems to work on that second type of person. Maybe we need to give them a state of their own and send them all there to survive how ever they want to, as long as they leave the rest of us alone.

Is there any possible answer?

Rain Trueax said...

Good points, Dick. I agree that he broke a lot of laws and probably wouldn't care if he broke more but I also see that making there be some restrictions on gun ownership wouldn't hurt anything either. And definitely autos can be dangerous weapons also but the difference is we all need autos to get around, but do we need guns? I think we have the right to have them but having people required to take some classes to learn how to handle them is the equivalent of the law that requires us to pass a test before we drive. Yeah, we can break it and drive without one but it does prevent some, who say cannot see well enough, from driving. We are in quite a time though for how to balance the needs of the individual with those of the society.

Anonymous said...

Justice Kennedy's rationale for his decision is offensive for its paternalism, but also for its illogic. Since not one of us can know the future or how our minds will change in the future about past events, by his thinking we may as well ban all decisive acts: marriage, buying a house, signing a contract, etc. etc. etc. and so on.

Ingineer66 said...

Excellent post Rain. I think we have a topic where you and I agree almost 100%. I thought this to be the case about this issue and I know we agree about 70% on the gun issue.
I heard a good interview with Brit Hume yesterday about the current state of affairs in DC. His comment was that it is poisonous there right now and that the far left of the dems and the far right of the reps seem to be driving most of the rhetoric and it is just a mess. It seems most of Americans would prefer politicians more towards the center whether left or right leaning, but that is not what we are currently getting.

robin andrea said...

I have always thought that abortion is something that a woman must work out with her doctor. I do not know under what circumstances or how often late-term abortions are performed, but I can't imagine that they are done for frivolous reasons. I will have to do some research on this. I am alarmed by Justice Kennedy's sentiments, because I don't believe that the court should be swayed by personal considerations. The law requires a higher standard than one's own speculation about future regret.

Anonymous said...

In a perfect world, abortion wouldn't be necessary because there would be universal birth control and everyone would be educated about it. Yeah, right! Thanks for referring us to Ronni's site as I hadn't read the last two entries.

Like you, my close family members and friends who have had abortions certainly have had to live with it all their lives. In the journal groups I have led over the years, this agonizing topic comes up again and again. For most women it is not an easy decision.

I am glad that the biological moms of my 3 kids opted out of abortion, but I firmly believe every woman should have the right to choose--and to have the procedure done safely in sterile conditions.

As for gun control, you and I are also on the same page--and even good old Ingineer is, too. I have no problems with people having weapons; it's our constitutional right. But assault weapons should not be able to be purchased by private citizens.

But, my son-in-law points out that the majority or crimes committed with guns are not by registered gun owners.

Moderation in all things.

Ingineer66 said...

Thanks Fran glad I can agree with you once in a while. I use the "In a perfect world" analogy for abortion all the time when debating the issue. But like you said it does not exist. Also in a perfect world I should be able to leave my car unlocked with the keys in it and not have to worry about it being stolen. And just like I dont plan to have an abortion, but dont want to see them outlawed, I dont plan to buy an assault rifle but I do not want to outlaw them because I believe I have a constitutional right to own one.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Fran has a point. "Moderation in all things."
Guns and abortion are emotional issues that are splitting our nation. But I am encouraged to see that there is so much agreeement here with the frequent commenters to "Rainy day thoughts." Thank you Rain for all that you put into these blogs.

Professor Howdy said...

Don't forget a kid dies every time there's an abortion...

Rain Trueax said...

I appreciate all comments here on a controversial and difficult subject. Professor Howdy, abortions stop a potential life from developing. Only if they are late term do they kill fully formed baby. What they do kill is the potential for that, they stop life from happening. What that means for the soul, if one has a spiritual belief about life, that is unknown. It also is no guarantee that every abortion stops a baby from being born given many pregnancies terminate in natural miscarriages anyway. Some abortions are done because malformations have been detected that would make a life impossible. It's a complex subject and many people have very firm opinions but the truth is we don't know about what might be in life-- ever.

Anonymous said...

I have one question and the answer to it has always bothered me. What does a fetus taken to term become? It can only become a human being. It is ironic that guns can kill and so can doctors. ANd a lot of the people who favor gun control want little or no control on abortions.

Rain Trueax said...

There are several things that mystify me about people who are against abortion even when it's at the very first stages-- why don't they care about what happens to the baby once it's born? why are they often against welfare for the mother to give that baby good care? why don't they support public schools for quality educations for all-- not just those who have rich neighborhoods? Why aren't they more concerned about a war that is taking lives for what nobody can explain? There are many mysteries in life

About when a fetus gets called a baby, I wouldn't try to make the distinction medically but when it looks like one and can survive, I'd call it one and be fine with it. Some are naturally aborted by nature in the first 3 months-- generally when anything is wrong, that's what happens. But not always. Some are born and die immediately or born with no brain or many other things that most of us don't imagine when we think of babies.

But if you believe from the moment it's two cells that just divided it is a human being with full rights of any human already born, then you have to take the view the Catholic Church does that most birth control is wrong because many forms of it stop those developing eggs from settling somewhere to grow.

Spiritually if you look at what is okay with abortion, there are so many questions and possibilities that one could write a book on it, not a blog.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post! I'm one of the ones that am for Pro-Choice. HOWever....I'm also one of the ones that knows should the late term abortion come to fruition, there is a huge chance that ALL abortions will be very shaky.
I missed what Kennedy said! Whew! EXcuse me....sounds like he gives females NO credit at all for being intelligent human beings, VERY capable of making their own choices.
We need to be on top of this issue. With everything else the Bush Adm. has "slid" through...I sure don't trust them on the abortion issue.