Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, April 07, 2007

All things great and small

When we go on a trip, the problem is always what to do about the animals who share our life here on the farm. Last year, we were very happy when the same man who built our barn said he'd look after the outside animals as a favor. He is reliable, likes doing it, comes twice a day and puts out hay when needed. That takes care of the worry for the livestock.

This year one of the youngest lambs (half of a set of twins) went down right after we left-- of course. Our friend brought it down to his place, fed it, and kept it going when it would clearly have died had someone less conscientious had been looking after the farm.

His children got attached to the lamb and we told him he could keep it, but she is still not doing well. Originally it appeared she had a broken leg, but turned out when my husband stopped by Friday morning to check on her again that she actually had an abscess in the knee. He expressed the pus, gave her more antibioitic and only time will tell if she makes it. If she makes it, she will likely grow up thinking she's a horse as that's what they raise.

To be gone about two weeks, that still left the problem of the cats. The two younger ones I wasn't concerned about as with plenty of water and dry food, they would get fatter but be fine-- other than a bit lonely and nobody here to serve as their doorman.

That solution would no longer work for Persia, the 15 year old. She has been mostly eating canned food with her kidneys slowly beginning to fail. She couldn't be left, and so whe went with us.

I have traveled before with cats, and she traveled the best of any. There were only two small misadventures-- if you don't count the morning in the motel where she discovered she could get between the wooden edging around the king-sized bed and into a huge inner sanctum (obviously one we couldn't reach). Fortunately she generally comes to me (okay follows me everywhere); and when she came out, we shoved blankets into the offending entrance; so we were not delayed in leaving.

Motels are pretty good about providing for people traveling with pets for an extra charge from $5 to 10. In one of the rooms, she was pleased to discover odors that only she could smell but told her cats had been there before her. She has never been an only cat-- until this trip; and she clearly missed her two significant others. Actually they aren't really, as all of our pets are neutered; but they are the cats she sniffs noses with and occasionally swats for reasons only cats might understand.

In Tucson, she wasn't quite sure what to make of the new house, but she adapted to being a house cat and outside only when on a leash with only one scare. I showed her the pool area; and when she and I exited, I let the metal gate clang closed. I don't really think it hit her tail. I think it was just the noise but from the yowl and reaction she had, I might be wrong. For a little while I had an enraged and terrified cat who wouldn't let me pick her up and looked at me for a few hours afterward as though I had betrayed her.

The other incident was also my doing but shows her temperament. We were on the road heading north. I was eating a quickie breakfast-- sausage biscuit with egg-- and thought she might like a piece of the biscuit which I dropped into her carrying box.

As we drove, she began to scratch at the bottom of the box, like covering up feces. I checked.. Nothing but she would have no more to do with the box. She found another place to sleep-- under one of the seats. I thought she'd gotten tired of sleeping in what we had been calling her cave. Even when in Tucson she would sometimes sleep in it, but still everybody changes their minds sometimes, wants a change...

Then I remembered the biscuit crumb. I shook out the towel that had been serving as her bed, and threw the crumb away. She checked out her domicile, went in, settled happily down immediately. Probably that was a statement about the health of sausage biscuits with eggs that I should heed. :)

Photo is of Persia, at a rest area along the freeway in Arizona, looking out the truck window at that strange new world.

10 comments:

Ingineer66 said...

Nice story. You have such a sincere way of expressing your profound love for animals.

robin andrea said...

When we moved from California to the PNW, we traveled with our cat Bonsai. He doesn't like being in cars very much, but we did find (after some research online) that a little icepack helps allay fear and anxiety. It worked for him immediately. He still doesn't like to be in the car, but that's because nowadays it always ends with him at the vet.

Sure hope that little lamb survives and thrives. Please keep us posted on that.

BTW-- Just read the post below about water and wanted to mention an article in the NY Times the other day that addressed the water wars in the arid southwest. It's not a pretty picture at all.

Rain Trueax said...

Where do you put the ice pack, Robin? I wouldn't need anything with Persia. She really settled right into traveling and I didn't sense any fear from her at all but I have a cat that taking anywhere in a car is always an experience-- for him and us. He gets in the carrier, after being shoved in with brute force (which considering he weighs almost 17 lbs is not easy) and starts yowling. As soon as the car starts, he dumps whatever was in his bowels and bladder. It's a ritual.

The funniest time in traveling with him was our first trip when we had no clue how this was going to go as our only experience with traveling with a cat was one who tolerated it pretty well.

It was in Eloy Arizona. My husband went into a store for a newspaper. I had the cat on my lap to soothe him... He saw my husband return, enemy registered in his pea-sized brain, and he (sorry for the language but no other word says this as well) cra---- all over my jeans-- my favorite pair of jeans. So here I am in a McDonald's parking lot, stripping off jeans and changing into a skirt-- hopefully hidden by car doors but there was no choice. They had to come off. He had been so scared that it was more like diarrhea than normal... okay, no more details. It was one of those moments you do not forget. I still will do almost anything to avoid taking him on trips-- but sometimes it can't be avoided! So Persia was a pleasant surprise and delight that she traveled so well

Sandy said...

It sounds like both Persia and you made out alright, I remember you saying that you had to take her. I do hope that the lamb will be okay, it is always so hard when newborn animals are suffering and we don't seem to be able to "fix" whatever is wrong. I remember several road trips that we made with cats (we also lived on a farm at that time) it can be difficult on both the animal and it's owner. Sounds as though she and you did great!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Persia is OK, but that's sad to hear about the little lamb. Here's hoping she makes it. I've been a dog person all my life--had a cat only once, for about a year, but my daughter fell in love with it and took it. Her name was Sufi and when Christy's life got really chaotic, she literally moved herself to the lady next door and wouldn't come back to Christy's house. With my Cookie older now, and Anthony moving this summer, I'll look into some other options for her when I travel. My vet has a good kennel, but it costs as much as having someone come in. We'll see. Glad you are home safe and sound. Happy Easter.

Anonymous said...

Travelling with pets can be a real challenge, and every time we do it, there seems to be another story to tell. Either a near miss or something very humorous.

In the photo, Persia's right ear looks to have a couple of notches. Must be from former scraps with intruders...

Anonymous said...

I hope the little lamb gets well, too. I was surprised that the scrap of food in the carrier would turn the cat against being in there with it. I know that cats don't like food scraps the way dogs do. I tried to feed my friend's cat a bite of hamburger. She was completely uninterested. I had to throw it away. NJ

Rain Trueax said...

Having checked with the veterinarian, it looks as though the lamb has something more seriously wrong than being stepped on. It is still alive but it doesn't appear likely it will make it. Sad but part of raising livestock. I feel bad for the ones who have tried so hard to save her. We will try one other thing but it doesn't seem like it can be saved.

On Persia's ear, she is a little toughie and that came from her fighting with a female cat we had when we first got Persia. She takes nothing off nobody and in the process she and the other female both had their ears notched...

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Enjoyed reliving Sabino Canyon and the pantings we did there. There has been more than one Persia, right?

Rain Trueax said...

For anyone who has followed this story, the lamb did die last night. Once we understood it was a form or arthritis, we didn't hold out much hope. It's hind legs weren't working at all. Death was a release for it even if sad for us and the family who all put a lot into trying to save it-- but save it for a full life, not an existence.