Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Jesus Tomb

Well, I watched the Discovery show tonight on Jesus's tomb. It was a tomb of a Jesus and his family. The debate is whether it's that Jesus. I found it interesting as I do any archaeology. Today's technology has moved the process of investigative archaeology a long way from Indiana Jones and yet a lot of it was still-- instinct, gut feeling, and go for it.

The evaluation after the program was in several parts. 'Regular' archaeologists didn't approve of the program because what they saw was 'gunfighter' archaeology (done by a journalist and film maker) which means it didn't follow rules; but then that tomb has been there since 1980 and nobody else apparently wanted to investigate it.

The theologians didn't like it because it fouled up doctrine-- bodily resurrection or nothing! They also disapproved of re-enactments which they felt would confuse people into thinking they really happened that way. That is amazing to me as I think people are pretty sophisticated by now but then who knows.

My own feeling, as someone who considers herself a Christian even if a very non-traditional one, is that whether there are actual bones of Jesus the Christ or not, it won't change my beliefs. For me, the program was reaffirming, as almost any historic or scientific look at Jesus is for the reality that he existed, taught, and was crucified. Heretic that I am, I have never cared whether there was a virgin birth, and don't care if there was a bodily resurrection.

For me, I think it's about a personal spiritual experience-- not dogma. I have never felt my getting a bodily resurrection was important; but if it happens, I guess it's okay depending on which stage of my body (or maybe which lifetime) I got back. Even the Bible indicates that the heavenly body won't be like the earthly one. A small but significant difference to some, who believe in heaven, is no sex unless you are Muslim or Mormon (pardon me theologians, as this is not researched-- just off the top of my head).

I will admit, there has always been one thing that bothered me with the Bible story. If Jesus was God and was bodily resurrected as Jesus the man, did that mean he was trapped in a human body until such time as the earth is redone after the end of time? Can He shed it then?

It had always seemed to me that Jesus being stuck with a human body, given all its limitations and frailties, would have been a greater sacrifice than dying on the cross. He was after all, an entity who could appear and disappear at will from before his birth, during his lifetime, and afterward. Yes, I know, my viewpoint is not doctrinally pure but then any regular reader here already knows that.

Generally speaking the Christian religion has had a bit of a battle with science through history; so I doubt this film will do much to switch anyone's opinion. If you watched it, what did you think? Was it the tomb of the Jesus and his family? Should more research be done on this or would it cause too much spiritual damage to too many people? Does it matter?

7 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Rain, very interesting speculations on Jesus! But they are all assuming he was occult. From my point of view, he was a fine everyday person with a life parallel to a myth already deeply clinging to the nature of the hearts of all mankind. And years after his death the myth attatched to him grew into an organized religion. He did stop the corruption of Jewish priesthood of the time.

Anonymous said...

I have not watched it yet, I recorded it, and will watch it tonight. But I dont think it should matter. If you believe, you believe. and you raised some great points to ponder. Is he stuck with an earthly body for eternity? I think not, I think that all of us die, and discard our earthly vessel for either another one, (reincarnation) or a spiritual one. (soul) I have always had a hard time getting my head around the Holy Trinity...So I just believe what I do, and dont worry about it.

thailandchani said...

I didn't see the show but wish I had. Maybe when it's repeated...

At any rate, myths are parallel in so many religions that I've determined that I'll believe what makes sense to me and let go of the rest.

I also believe Jesus was a person trying to reach enlightenment, as we all are. Unfortunately, his journey was hijacked for more political/cultural reasons and I believe he would be appalled at many of the things that are done in his name.

If he was married and had a child, so what? That does nothing to diminish his message.


Peace,


~Chani

Anonymous said...

Hi,, I thought I'd check out your blog after a chat last night with Mary Lou. She's right, you have a lot to say, and I like how you say it! I'm not a blogger, but I'll certainly check in from time to time and maybe leave my 2 cents worth now and then. I am in total agreement with your assessment of last nights program "The Jesus Tomb". I hope this will prompt further research and dialog. I'm a closet archeologist, have been since I was a kid. If I had my life to do over, I'd go to college and spend my life in the 'diggs' of this world. At 63, I can only be an armchair participant now.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had written what you wrote, Rain--it fit my take almost to a T. To tell you the truth, it strengthens (if it were by some fluke be proved to be "the" Jesus family tomb) what I call the fully human Jesus. It would be nice to have been like other humans, with siblings, a wife, a child. I was particularly taken with the reenactment on the cross where they speculate that the observer is not his mom, but his wife Miriamne and his son, Simon. It puts the phrase "Mother, behold your son," in a whole new light. Now--how would you like your apartment house built over a tomb and then to get HOA permission to open it up. And then some lady just comes along and says you can't be here anymore.

I wish I had recorded it, but I know it will run again. I'd like to see it again with a slightly different view. My grandson and I watched it together and it sure sparked some lively conversation; he has rejected organized religion, but has a lot of curiosity about the historical Jesus and what religion became from such a simple philosophy. I've got to go back and read the Gnostic Gospels again this year.

Rain Trueax said...

Welcome Thailand Gal and Catmomaj as it's always nice to see new bloggers here but especially when they comment. Everyone's comments (and all of those this time are good examples) make this blog so much more than it ever starts out to be adding other ideas to mine. I have said it before but comments are the icing on the cake for blogs. And special thanks to Mary lou for sending others here. That started my morning off great to read :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't get to watch it, so thanks for posting about it.
As for me....I say keep researching. People with an open mind are always willing to listen to new information.