Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, February 16, 2007

Winged Migration

There aren't words to really describe Winged Migration. If you haven't yet watched it (and it's not a recent release), I recommend you rent or buy it. It's a documentary, similar to March of the Penguins. The stars are birds from all around the world. As I watched it, I thought how often I have loved hearing the sounds of geese overhead as they head north or south, but never fully appreciated what a truly amazing journey they are on.

To make the film, crews had a pretty amazing journey of their own as they followed these birds through forty countries, each of the seven continents, and over a span of four years. By airplanes, gliders, helicopters, and even balloons, they flew above, below and alongside the birds on their migratory journey.

It boggles the mind what those birds accomplish and what they must then repeat. Death or crippling injuries are all that will end their journey. The scenery is gorgeous from big cities to wilderness, awesome views of the Amazon, Monument Valley, the Arctic, oceans, and everywhere in between. But the stars are the birds in flight and the story one of their powerful inner motivation.

If a film like this does not convince us of the value of preserving nature, that the world is not just about us, then nothing will. Humans are so prone to think it's all about us because we're the humans. If enough of us think that way, we might destroy the natural world, but I believe that would destroy us too. We can do a lot to save what is left if we are willing to make some of our own sacrifices-- piddling by comparison. The world is in balance. It's not impossible to upset that balance and in the end upset our own apple cart.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

This was a great film to watch. As you mentioned the flight of the birds, their journeys, are really something. I enjoyed how the film makers had us right up there with them at times via the gliders,etc. It gave an excellent view of them and what they go through.

Joy Des Jardins said...

This sounds like something I'd definitely like. I loved March of the Penguins. Thanks Rain.

Rain Trueax said...

After I saw the film, I knew I had to have the soundtrack. It has been as good as I expected, totally suiting my mood right now. I can't compare it to anything else-- maybe a bit of early Enigma, a little Celtic feeling, none of it anything I had heard before the film, but maybe from artists more well known in Europe. I don't know but for me it's been a great soundtrack.

Anonymous said...

I was so moved when I watched this film, Rain. I was mesmerized--and learned a lot. I watched Cast Away tonight while working on art projects.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't familiar with this film, so once again, thanks for the info on it, Rain. I adored March of the Penquins, so no doubt I'll love this one.
And so very true...we need to preserve all of our environment. But it seems that selfishness is the priority these days.