Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, February 24, 2007

Photographing People

Comments on my last blog on beauty were so interesting that I thought, rather than address them in a comment, I'd do it with another blog. Robin Andrea made an interesting observation as she suggested a reason parents might stop photographing their children as they reached their teen years, something I had mentioned happened with me without knowing the reason why-- other than what I might guess.

To start with, I admit I have a thing about photography and in particular when the subject is people. I see interesting faces and covet either painting or photographing them. I admire books by photographers of people. As soon as I saw Annie Leibovitz had put out a book called A Photographer's Life 1990 - 2005, I ordered it from Amazon.

What was so cool about her book, besides the fact she is such a gifted photographer, was how she incorporated the philosophy I have always had-- your life not only is your art, but you can't and shouldn't separate them.

We are creating art work whether we do fine art, crafts or nothing because our life is our art. Last fall in their weekly newsletter, there was this great quote in Heron Dance which says it better than I could (Incidentally I found Heron Dance through Sacred Ordinary, bookmarked to the side here, when Fran wrote about it).

"What would it be like if you lived each day, each breath, as a work of art in progress? Imagine you are a masterpiece unfolding each second of every day, a work of art taking for with every breath." ........ Thomas Crum

I have long believed this way and then along came Annie Leibovitz's book which so beautifully wove together her family, ordinary people and then all those glamorous people she is paid to photograph. She has pictures of herself taken by her lover, Susan Sontag, self portraits, photos of Sontag as she was battling cancer, and the kinds of photos we all take but done by a master artist.

The reason for us to photograph ourselves, our children, our grandchildren is not only because we are cute or we are having fun but to create a record of our lives that we can look back on. Why does that matter? That was answered well by some of the commenters on the last blog.

We too often see ourselves through other's eyes and what they say about us helps us decide who we are-- that is at the time. Then along comes later and we look back on those old photographs of us doing this or that and suddenly we see ourselves in a new light. We realize that hey we were pretty cute after all --even if our family didn't think so. And that matters for today. When we see that perhaps we let someone else define us back then; we can see maybe we are doing the same thing today. We can look at those photos of today and realize we are more than what we critically see in the mirror.

Photographs are something I use all the time with my painting. I photograph what I am doing, sometimes at several stages and see uh oh, that is out of proportion or this is working but that is not. The photograph is a neutral view of what we might look in the mirror and see more critically.

I was one to photograph my kids all of their lives-- still do. In their teen years they hated it, but I think they now understand the reason for it. It gave them a record that they can look back on and put together with their inner memories to create an expanded view of what was which can actually enhance what is. I used to photograph even the oops moments because they are all part of who we are.

For me, I enjoy photographing myself. It's like an art challenge that every so often will come to me and out comes the camera and a set up. This particular one I am sharing because I thought it was fun to shoot. I was looking for a way to illustrate a woman with the fire, casually posed, suggesting earth woman. I used me as I usually do because I rarely have anybody else as willing to get used. I took quite a few that day from various angles and found one that I felt best illustrated what I had in mind.

To me, it wasn't about whether it looked like me although it is me and an unaltered version. Because it is an angle I don't see of myself in mirrors, I asked my husband if he thought it looked like me. He said very much but agreed not from a perspective most would ever see as it's above and looking down at the woman.

Then I showed it to a good friend, who is also an artist, and mentioned I might use it here. She said, well you could comment that photographs don't always look like us... Okay, I can accept that it might not look like the outside me, but the real aim of a photograph is not simply that it looks like us. We can get that by standing in front of the camera, arms at our sides, and smiling, but the real goal for a creative photograph is for it to capture more. There is always the possibility we can get one that shows the inner person, captures their essence. My friend suggested a title for this one, which I liked a lot-- goddess of the hearth.

That is why, I believe we should photograph ourselves and others. Yes, record our lives; but sometimes we will find one that illuminates more than the exterior. Unless you are unusually gifted in photography, it takes a lot of pictures, a lot of work to learn to do that, but I think the payback is worth it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always been the photographer, so there are very few pictures of me in family life. Everyone always assumed I would take the pictures, and share, so noone else brought a camera! And the only pictures my Husband ever took were ones that showed me bending over and my wide ass! (shaking head)

robin andrea said...

What is it about those teen years? I didn't want my photo taken either when I was in my teens, and there are plenty of family gatherings where I am covering my face. I had an aunt who took a lot of family photos. One of the best shots of my three siblings and me was taken by her, when we were all in our early 20s. My parents brought out the camera after my sister had children. They have a ton of photos of grand-children. But that also stopped when they were in their teen years.

I don't think my parents saw themselves as artists, or even as archivists of the family. They did have an 8mm movie camera and took a zillion little movies of us diving into our backyard pool. Most of that footage has long since disappeared.

Rain, I think you bring a certain awakened consciousness to your art and photography, but sadly not everyone does. Your family is quite fortunate that you have chosen so wisely to make a record of them and yourself.

Rain Trueax said...

I am lucky that now the kids love to take photos of their families and themselves; so I get to see them without being the only one-- or even the best one taking the photos.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you like Heron Dance like I do, Rain. As I mentioned a few weeks back, I took Annie's book into my office during lunch hour and looked at it. I think I'll check it out for the weekend sometime, though. Her work is so extraordinary. I'm the family photo taker, too, so like Mary Lou, I'm not in all that many of them. And unlike you, Rain, I rarely take photos of myself. I just read The Memory Keeper's Daughter and the husband/father is a doctor who also becomes famous for his photography. I really liked the descriptions of his process and what drove him. I think I love photography so much because it's a blip in time--it really happened. Life speeds by so fast and photographs are proof that we are here.

Rain Trueax said...

What got me started with self-timers was sculpting and painting. I didn't have the advantage of a model, didn't always have someone around to take my picture, but I could use myself to create the mood or pose that I wanted. Before that, I'd look in the mirror but that limits your choices, then I discovered self-timers. I also discovered that it was fun to try and create sadness, anger, happiness, peace or whatever emotion I hoped to use in the art but had to find the right 'feel' for. I didn't always paint 'myself' when I did that as I'd change it into a different person but the start of it was most helpful to have a real person. It was enjoyable to work with that and I discovered the self-timed shots were fun without a reason for them. They let me see myself in a different way.

We use it also in family photos where we find somewhere to put the camera and then get a photo everyone instead of one person missing to take the photo

Rain Trueax said...

I remember when you mentioned her book, Fran. I had bought it last summer when I read a review and enjoyed it in terms of the blend of family and work-- also her thinking on the process but it's mostly photos. The ones of her life partner, Susan Sontag as she was going through the dying process are most powerful. So many people see photographs as about fun moments or recording the family gathering but not that it can record all of life-- some of which isn't pleasant but it's part of the whole.

Anonymous said...

Another very interesting post. I think that's why I've always loved candids. The photographer at our daughter's wedding did a fantastic job with candids. He did the requisite "posed" traditional photos, but over twenty years later when my daughter and I look back at her album, it's the candid ones that seem to "speak" to us.
I loved your photo....What I saw was pure serenity and I felt your face glowed as brightly as the fire.

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to read your views on picture taking and self portraits. Made me think. For years and years I didn't like my picture taken. I never thought the pictures looked like 'me'. Now I'm thinking that maybe it was all vanity! And maybe I've outgrown it!
Because I don't care anymore, who takes a picture of me,no matter how I'm dressed or what I'm doing. I do love taking pictures of my kids and grandkids, and love looking back through them. The pictures allow me to feel the same emotions I felt at the time of taking them. I envy you your ability to paint, as well. What a wonderful feeling that must give you.

Dick said...

People are wonderful subjects. I think one of the best ways to get good photos of people is to take lots of them. You have some control over things like lighting and perhaps posing but so much of it is still up a bit to chance, such as expression, etc.

That is one of the things I love about digital photography. I can take lots of photos without any expense and just delete those I don't want to keep. I just came back from Costco where I was able to buy five 2Gb SanDisk Ultra II Compact Flash cards for my camera for only $30 each. I can get over 500 photos on each of those cards and only print those I really want to print. It is great!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

The new digital photography is a great tool because now everyone can take as many photos as a professional would and I think the quality that my children are acheiving in their family pictures is improved tremendously over what I took years ago. Interesting about the somewaht universal experiences of teens not wanting their picture taken. That was not the case for my daughters. They liked having their picture taken most of the time. My youngest only complained that during roller skating competitions she did not like to hear the camera and see the flash becausese it would interrupt her concentration. My youngest grand child (adopted) does not want me to take his picture and he is only 5 years old. He senses my concerned look because he is a dwarf on growth hormone therapy. I think his self esteem is some what battered because he is already sensitive about his picture looking different from other children. He has lost the adorable cute tiny look and now looks more like an old man. I wonder what his photos will take him emotionally. Earlier I made him an album with pictures of him with family and friends. Should I continue to add to it? I am reluctant in the face of his dislike for being photographed. But maybe I should continue the project anyway. Maybe it would help him out somehow.