Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, February 26, 2007

Faith or Fact?

Well..... what do you think? March 4, James Cameron, director of Titanic, will have a Discovery documentary about Jesus's tomb being discovered. Not an empty one, not in the location where some have assumed Jesus's would have been, but one that had actual bodies still in it-- bodies with names that fit the Bible stories-- up to a point.

Would such a discovery-- if it could be validated and was not just a series of coincidences-- do anything to your life? To your faith? Change anything of what you believe about life? Are you open to the possibility it could be true or would you feel it had to be a fraud (which certainly is possible)?

Would you watch this program on Discovery or would it seem disloyal to even consider the possibility that some of what was in DaVinci Code might actually be true? If this tomb was that of the historic Jesus Christ, it would negate one part of what some have claimed. Someone named Mary Magdalene was buried in that tomb also along with a son -- so no going to France and no line continuing on into today... Probably-- depending on the ages those two were when they died-- which can scientifically be pretty closely determined.

So much of religion is based on faith, and faith doesn't look for facts. Faith would say that it is made stronger when there are facts which must be risen above. When there are solid facts, faith is not needed.

Anyway I think it will be interesting to see exactly what James Cameron claims has been found using, as well as archaeological techniques, also DNA. Although, I am not sure how anyone could use DNA to prove anything in terms of to whom those bodies had belonged.

There should be more this week in the news on this. I would imagine accusations will fly that Cameron is just trying to destroy people's faith with phony facts. Given the times in which we live, that can be pretty nasty where it comes to any group's belief system.

On Bill Maher's HBO show Friday, a very articulate woman discussed this phenomena where it comes to the Muslim faith. She compared the way Muslims were so offended, to the point of death threats, when there were Danish cartoons about Mohammad, but they have not appeared equally offended by someone, using Mohammad's words as justification, beheading someone in a brutal murder. Human priorities are often very skewed.

Anyway should be interesting Sunday to see exactly what has been found and how much of it appears accurate or is it just aimed at being shocking...

7 comments:

Ingineer66 said...

I plan to watch or at least TIVO it for later viewing. Jesus was 33 when he was crucified so he had plenty of time to have children with Mary Magdeline if that was his wife as is rumored. Many myths and legends have a basis in fact and while the entire Davinci Code story may not be true there sure is a lot of evidence to suggest that at least some of it is true.

Anonymous said...

I will definately watch it. I do not think it will change my life at all. I agree with ingineer66, that there is a lot of evidence to suggest that Jesus did in fact survive his crucifixion.

Sandy said...

It will be interesting to see what will be found although I don't actually think that it will change what I believe. Of course, you never know.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I heard a little something about this....I don't know why, but I have this strange feeling about Cameron...I am not sure about his sincerity in this endevor...But I will have to wait and see. I know so little about the bible and the stories of Jesus....But I know that Cameron is first and formost "a showman"....I will try to watch that program Rain, and thanks for writing about it.

Anonymous said...

Well, first of all, none of this changes how I now believe as an adult.
Raised a Catholic, having attended 8 yr. of parochial school, we were taught to believe in the Resurection, the Garden of Eden, etc. By the time I was 14, I had very deep doubts. Just made no sense to me that Jesus, died, and was resurected...just kinda floated on up to heaven. By age 40, I lost all contact with "organized" religion. I have my spirituality and that's plenty for me, along with nature and some other belief's.
So do I think any of Cameron's findings are true? I think there's a strong possibility. Just like the DaVinci Code, in my opinion, was much more truth than fiction.

Anonymous said...

Ah, we wrote about the same subject on the same day. I got your comment, by the way; I know Typepad was down for maintenance yesterday.

I know this will kick up a huge controversy--and maybe that's a good thing. There's so much depressing news--but it is reality, I guess. Now--we could begin to lay out our arguments for the reality of reality.

Debbie said...

Wah! I don't Get the Discovery Channel..I'll have to go pop by my friend's house because I definitely want to see this one.