Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A woman's tools

Women's tools are always of interest to me. One of my Christmas presents was a different design of a whisk. While I am not a gourmet cook, I enjoy adding good spices, coming to new ways to cook something I think others will enjoy, and I love kitchen tools. Perhaps it all goes back to some primeval feeling that a woman feeds her family as a sign of love or her place in the scheme of things. Although some of that has been lost in a culture where many women work outside the home and with the ease of take-out, perhaps fine cooking has even more value when it's truly a gift.

Besides modern tools, I receive great pleasure from owning a few of the tools-- grinding bowls, mortars, pestles, mano, and matates-- left by the peoples who traveled this land before the settlers arrived (no, I don't grind anything in them).

When the Luckiamute peoples lived where I do, they moved with the seasons. Their stone tools were left of necessity in the places where they camped. They were sometimes buried, and generation after generation would know where to find them. One day those people stopped coming. The tools remained hidden until a flood or torrential rain would uncover them for another people to find.

It is easy to imagine the women gathered along the creek below their hide or cedar shelters and grinding the paste from nuts and roots that can be formed and cooked. Chattering as they work, they left their energy on the things they used. I know this is so because I feel that energy. I also know it as I prepare food or sit talking to another woman while she cooks. Can I help? What did you add to that? Mmmm that tastes good. Women gather many ways but one of the most enjoyable for me is in a kitchen with a glass of red wine while we laugh and talk.

My grinding stones have either been found on this creek or purchased in a store that sells artifacts gathered from private land. That last part is very important as there is no right to gather or even buy artifacts from public land. Private land or not, there is also no right to own funerary or ceremonial items. If those are found, even on private lands, they are to be left where they are. Sacred items are to be respected -- most especially if you are a believer in karma!

Sometimes such items are claimed to be old but in reality have been created for selling. Know your dealer, and buyer beware is a good warning here as elsewhere.

(The last image is a painting Parapluie did some years ago of one of my grinding bowls. She was yet another woman feeling the energy of the tool and desiring to capture it with her paints.)

8 comments:

Dick said...

I have a Roman coin that I find fascinating. It is from the era of an Emperor who lived about 288AD and it is kind of mind bogeling when I think of all that has gone on in this world since that coin was made. Who made it, who might have held it, where has it been all these years?

Happy New Year to you and I look forward to continuing to read your blog through 2007. Like you, I am hoping and expecting this to be a far better year than either of the last two have been for me.

robin andrea said...

Those are beautiful tools, rain. I like cooking with friends, and love being in the kitchen and socializing around food. It is a wonderful moment to break bread with friends, and share in a feast. Preparation is so much like ritual.

Mary Lou said...

What a great way of looking at those artifacts. ANd how great that you were the one they chose to make themselves know to. THis was a great story! Happy New Year Rain.
(oh dear, I cant make out the letters...It's gonna refuse my post!!) arrggghh

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

A truly inspiring blog today. I always feel a warmth coming from your grinding bowls. They are part of what a serne and beautiful experience it is to visit with you around your fireplace with a cup of tea.

Anonymous said...

I met a human artifact once-Jimmy Carter ! :)

Anonymous said...

This is a great post with interesting thought.
Although I never really gave it much thought, I guess I also gravitate toward the previous tools of women.
When I had to clean out my aunts home of 50 years, I came across some very old cooking utensils...will I ever use them? Probably not. But I couldn't part with them and I gave them a place of honor in my kitchen...in a nice basket where I can see them daily and feel their energy. The kitchen was one of my aunt's favorite places and I can understand why.

Suzann said...

I love those pictures Rain - they speak to me right through the screen. I love to cook and I love to be in the kitchen with others sharing the love and joy of feeding those you love.

Christine Boles said...

Absolutely LOVE the painting~ the colors and brushstrokes are delicious.

I got a kick out of the wild women's benefit calendar~ what a great concept!