Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, January 18, 2007

Spiritual Films

Winter evenings, being so long and dark, are good times for families to play games, watch television, read books, or have long discussions. I love a fire in the fireplace, lots of candles, but also find this a time to watch films that expand my thinking. The best ones make me think of spiritual questions, answer them, or simply provide inspiration for living a spirit-filled life.

I cannot remember a time I have not enjoyed such movies. The first time I saw Ben-Hur was at a drive-in with my mother and brother. I loved the intensely spiritual nature of the plot and characters so much that I went back to see it a week later.

I did skip seeing one of the most popular recent such films-- The Passion of the Christ. Not because I have anything against movies about Jesus, but I knew Mel Gibson has a masochistic fascination with sadism and didn't intend to watch. I simply won't watch violent movies unless I feel I absolutely must for some greater reason-- and those reasons are rare. I value my dreams and mostly choose activities to enrich them, not bring me nightmares-- which naturally come along once in awhile no matter what I do.

There are several types of films I put under spiritual headings. The first is where the spirituality is woven within the story to greater or lesser degrees. There can be just a touch of mysticism like The Shipping News to the story of What Dreams May Come where the spiritual exploration is integral.

When films really speak to me, I buy them to watch again. None of my collection of these type of movies preach any one message, and they vary for how important an element spirituality is to the story: The Mission; The Simian Line; Bulletproof Monk; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Somewhere in Time; Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; Secret of Roan Inish; Weeping Camel; The Last Samurai; Practical Magic; Timeline; Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind; Cold Mountain; Shipping News;Sirens; Groundhog Day; The Mothman Prophecies; Dragonfly; Seven Days in Tibet; Practical Magic; The Lakehouse; Frequency; Missing; Miracle at Sage Creek; Field of Dreams; The Illusionist; House of the Flying Daggers; the Harry Potter, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings series.

No, that list is not complete, and I probably skipped one of your favorites which I would love if you would mention in comments. The main thing is, for me, a spiritual film in this category has a good story, real characters and explores spiritual dimensions. It questions what spiritual power is and looks at the spiritual side of life-- real or imaginary. Sometimes they are like an adult fairy tale but one that provokes you into thinking or teaches a life lesson from simple to deep. Last week-end, I watched one of those and will write about it next blog.

For me, there is another type of spiritual film. These are where the story is incidental, if it even exists, and the sole purpose for the film is to illustrate and teach specific spiritual concepts. I have three of those-- What the Bleep do we Know? The Secret, and The Celestine Prophecy. I have already discussed The Secret in this blog and at some time plan to write about the other two.

On a winter's night, when a person has time to think and imagine, movies can entertain but also inspire. Then, if you are fortunate enough to have someone with you, you can sit by a fireplace afterward and debate their meanings-- in a crunch, a cat or dog will do. Writing about it in a blog is good also.

(The new moon is now. It's a good time for new projects, new starts, goal setting and doing deep thinking on what you want in your life. Taking time to be still and access your own heart is especially good with a new moon. This is a planting time. What do you want in your life? And how do you plan to manifest it?)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three films that immediately jump to mind that would seem to fit in this category for me other than some you have already mentioned would be the following:

The Sixth Sense
Pay It Forward
Phenomenon

When actually watching a movie of some religious nature I initially try to soak up the entertainment value but final judgement of the film is not passed until I see the credits and know what references were acknowledged in the creation of the film. Was for example, Josephus (Antiquities of the Jews), used. There are other existent texts that shed much light on the historical surroundings of the lives and times of many of the individuals depicted in such films. When I see the more creditable of those referenced it leaves me with a more comfortable sense that I had not just watched the figament of someone's imagination.

Ted Turner's "TNT Bible Collection" made-for-tv films for the most part were fairly well done with some major exceptions. Jacob, Joseph, and Solomon were good films while the depiction of Noah and the great flood was absolutely pitiful.

Christine Boles said...

I saw all 3 of the films alan listed, and enjoyed them.

Might I recommend "Shadowlands"?

Ingineer66 said...

The main thing that I took away from The Passion of the Christ is that it so vividly demonstrates man's inhumanity to man. No matter what they thought this guy did or didnt do, to treat anyone like that really is difficult to fathom.

I was somewhat surpised to see Ground Hog Day in the company of the other movies you listed, but I love that movie too. I have seen it many times.

Phenomenon is also a great film. I also like some of the sappy romantic movies about the transformation of people such as Along Came Polly, Pretty Woman and Something Like Love. For a head trip movie the Butterfly Affect does a pretty good job. For suspense and a twist No Way Out is as good as it gets.

Anonymous said...

Might I recommend "Children of Heaven", and "The Wind Will Carry Us", both Iranian films. Once I saw these, I spent a year working on some artistic pursuits, to capture the texture and image of village life. And, remember "Life is Beautiful"? A very significant film.

Anonymous said...

This was a great blog and I enjoyed it immensely.
I've seen some of the movies you mention....Like The Lakehouse and Dragonfly and I'll have to come back and jot down some others, as I just love movies with a spiritual theme.
I felt exactly the same as you about The Passion....no desire whatsoever to see it. But my reason was mainly because it had to do with Catholicism (which I was raised with) and organized religion. (which I no longer adhere to)
BUT.....my 78 yr. old aunt (who was a devout Catholic) wanted to see that movie, so I bought it for her. Just the snippets I saw as I walked through the family room was enough for me! NOT my kind of movie, both for the violence and the lean toward the Catholic religion.
I look forward to your next review of a movie. Have a great weekend, Rain. OH, and that photo of you in front of the fire is super!

Anonymous said...

PS...me again.
Have you read the book The Alchemist? It was highly recommended to me, so I got it from Amazon, but haven't read it yet. I guess it's kinda like a fairy tale, with some great life lessons.

Rain Trueax said...

those are all great suggestions for more titles-- some i've seen and some not but will look for the ones I have not.

The Alchemist is a wonderful book, Terri, one I highly recommend and actually wrote about here this summer-- The Alchemist. I thought it was a very good book for encouraging spiritual growth and think you will love it. I loaned my copy to a friend who was going through a hard time.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the Illlusionist yet, but I assume it must be out on DVD. I want to second Pay It Forward, and add Grand Canyon, the City of Joy, Brother Sun and Sister Moon. I just watched Akeelah and the Bee, and I found that to be spiritual in its own way. I have a copy of The Passion of the Christ, but I have never watched it. Have you checked out the Spiritual Cinema Club? I decided I'd rather get my films from the library, and though I haven't ordered NetFlix, I might do that. My local library got a donation of more than 50,000 videos when a local rental store closed down and I bought a few more today. They sell them for $1 apiece. I also loved What the Bleep and The Secret.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

A couple of films that are very simplistic but that I love and could watch over and over---though I am not sure they fit in with your list----they have a spirituality that is built in to the storyline and one that a love..."It's A Wonderful Life"...Clarence the Angel coming down to help George---I especially love this movie for the message it conveys, that each man's (woman's) life is important because of how it touches other people..

That great Christmas film about Santa Claus with Natalie Wood, when she was a little girl, Maureen O'Hara and John Payne and that wonderful actot Edmund Gwenn as Kris Kringle...a delightful movie about the power of "belief"....

On the romance side I too, LOVE Pretty Woman, and more recently Something's Gotta Give, with Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson....not so much a spiritual film as a story about the power of love....
I have to give this some more thought, Rain....Love your list, btw.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Forgot to say that one of my favorite films that encompasses spirituality and love is "Shadowlands"....Beautiful film!

Anonymous said...

I came with two suggestions and immediately saw that alan g beat me to the first one, "Pay It Forward". Great movie!

And then there is my favorite movie of all time, which is about as deeply spiritual (using the guidelines you advanced) as any ever made: "To Kill A Mockingbird."

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your comment back and the link.
I left you a comment on your Aug. post about The Alchemist.

David Edward said...

hello - here from Naomi's

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Rain,
Not one to watch many films, I am overwhelmed by so many titles. The Secret was a terrific film. I guess I will next watch Star Wars. Thanks for the list.