Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, January 11, 2007

January snowfall

The snow that began yesterday continued through the night and stayed. This morning I awoke to a white world which pleasured me if not the livestock or cats. Because last snowfall, I regretted not taking any photos of the creek with the snow, I waited only for good light to go out this morning and take a few.
Walking in it, eating some from a branch reminded me of my childhood when Mom would make 'ice cream' for us with adding some vanilla and sugar to the snow. Was life really simpler back then or maybe it's the same today and I just got older and forgot those pleasures.
There is a delightful stillness to snow where the only sounds are breathing and the crunch under foot. The only wild thing I flushed was one irritated duck who left without posing for a photo.
The above is from a little backwater to the creek where there is enough stillness for reflections. When I took the photo, I thought it looked interesting; but I had no clue that those reflections were so perfect.
Yes, snow makes me happy-- if it doesn't last more than a few days.

12 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Love all your snow pictures and story. Snow makes me happy to. Especially was delighted by your picture at the end.

robin andrea said...

Snow makes me happy too. We went down to the creek today and took photos. They look a lot like yours! It's so beautiful out there. Very still, clear blue skies, and the tracks of many animals going to and fro. We did get to see a coyote.

I like how the snow covers the winter bare yard, and makes it beautiful again.

Anonymous said...

Hope I look as great as you do in my 60s!

Ingineer66 said...

Nice photos. We did not get any of the predicted snow here just clear and cold. Beautiful air quality though with the cold breeze. You can see the hills really good today.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos! Snow pix are difficult to get right, like beach pix, since the auto-exposure systems on most cameras want to close down a bit to compensate for the higher light levels. But you already knew all about that and how to compensate. Or you have one damn smart camera.

As long as I can stay close to home and not have to drive, I too enjoy a nice peaceful snow blanket. I know how to drive in it and have no problems -- except all those other fools on the road who don't know how to go in snow.

Anonymous said...

Great pics of the snow. I love it too - to LOOK at - but not for long. Of course, now that we came to Arizona for the winter - I am missing home and snow!

Joy Des Jardins said...

Snow makes me happy too Rain...for the very same reasons as you. I like to be able to get around in it without too much trouble. Your pictures are just beautiful, and I especially like the one of you out there....lovely.

Sandy said...

Love the pics Rain, I took some a while back myself, thanks for sharing. However, it's not usual for us to have as much snow and cold as what we're getting so we're not used to it. Hope it settles down soon :)

Ron Southern said...

Pst! How do you maintain such beautiful hair and yet manage the sheep, etc., as well as play in the snow? Are you tired yet!

Rain Trueax said...

thanks for all the nice comments on the snow photos.

On my hair, that always makes a woman feel good when she hears someone likes her hair. Mine takes very little time. Long hair in many ways is simpler than short for what it requires. Wash it in the shower, let it mostly dry, set it on hot rollers, wait a couple of days and repeat, in between just run a brush through it. I am very lucky to have some natural wave. I used to get permanents but when I decided to let it grow down my back, I gave that up and haven't seen the inside of a beauty salon in well over a year. I decided to quit coloring it last summer and the streaks that you see it are gray or silver and come compliments of nature. So saying something nice about it, made my day :)

(Incidentally, another neat thing about really long hair is I only have to tie it in a knot, stick in one bobby pin and it's out of my way.)

On the sheep, I don't do much with them either, a few flakes of alfalfa and they are happy. Actually, other than watching for predators, sheep only take much work a few times of the year-- lambing and shearing being the main ones but some hoof trimming in between and that's about it.

Unknown said...

Beautiful. Helps to make up for my own failure to capture the snowy beauty at our house. My big snow photography tip is: don't wait!

See:
http://hinessight.blogs.com/hinessight/2007/01/great_snow_phot.html

Anonymous said...

Oh wow...what great photos. The reflection one was awesome. Just beautiful. Gee, it's almost making me miss the snow of my Boston area. Opps! NO...scratch that....I'll enjoy the snow from your perspective.
And you do look mighty happy...great photo!