Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, December 29, 2006

The Road Ahead

"All my life's a circle; But I can't tell you why; Season's spinning round again; The years keep rollin' by. It seems like I've been here before; I can't remember when; But I have this funny feeling; That we'll all be together again. No straight lines make up my life; And all my roads have bends; There's no clear-cut beginnings; And so far no dead-ends." Harry Chapin from Circle

The season that seems to be the most 'me' is summer; but there are other times, throughout the year, that I not only find important but to which I always look forward. One such is the time between Christmas and New Year's Day.

It is an over the hump time. With the winter Solstice behind us, each day is getting a tiny bit longer. Although we are heading into the coldest days of winter, it comforts me to know the days are lengthening. The bustle of Christmas is behind and ahead lies the quiet of January. Okay it's not always quiet, but it is a slower pace although on a small ranch (big ones even more so), it's a time of heavy feeding of livestock and new births.

In a few days it will be 2007, and I am always hopeful with the start of a new year that it is going to be 'the' one. No matter how often I find out when it's over that year wasn't so super after all, I still always think as I enter-- new roads and days ahead and they're gonna be good.

This is my time for reevaluation, of assessing where I've been and where I am going-- spiritually, emotionally and physically. Using the new year as a time of new resolutions has a bad rap in my opinion although I don't call what I write resolutions. They are goals with suggested ideas for how I think I might achieve them. Since I became a computer user, it is what I use as I intersperse a few special photos or art from the year I am leaving. These represent what has been and what I want more of in my life.

Once written down, I don't go back over those goals until the new year becomes the old one. I have had a feeling they work best if I am not constantly readjusting what I wrote. I also don't write what I hope someone else will do for me. These are for me and aimed at my doing the things and being the woman I want to be-- and yes, at 63, I am still working on that.

This is also not a time I beat myself over the head for failures. I simply look at what I wanted, what steps I took to get there, and reassess what might be more successful in the coming year-- if I still want the same thing.

One of the main advantages of taking time each year to do personal goal making is you are less likely to get pulled along by someone else's goals. If those near you know what they want, but you don't, you are likely to be the one wondering at the end of your life whose road you followed.

Starting in the year 2000, I have had a dream day that is still at the heart of my goals. I wrote it because I had read a book on how to get what you want. You were to describe a day you considered most perfect. Write it down in detail, visualize it. From year to year, some elements of my day were proving elusive because they involved someone else; and then I realized to have my ideal day, I have to be the woman in it. Now most of my goals are aimed at being the woman I visualized.

Seven has always been my number; so, of course, I believe 2007 is going to be a good one. Yep, this one is 'the' one. May it be for you also.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting and I guess it's that time of year where many of us do briefly look back but then focus on what's ahead.
I hadn't even thought of it till you mentioned it...."7" has always been my number also. (I'm even told it's my "life number") So.....2007 here "I" come! I'm ready for a very exceptional, outstanding, year in many ways.
Wishing you a very Happy New Year, Rain and all you wish for in 2007!

Joy Des Jardins said...

This was a beautiful post Rain...and told me some wonderful insights about you. I agree with much of what you say; and this year has much promise...hopfully for many of us. Be well dear friend...

Sandy said...

May 2007 indeed be your year Rain and may your goals that you set turn into reality and your dreams come true.

robin andrea said...

I like your time of re-evaluation, and the purposefulness of how you approach the new year. I hope you look over last year's list and find joy in what you have accomplished. Wishing you a wonderful new year.

Suzann said...

Rain, I love this post. The end of the year is a precious time of reflection. Creating individual goals (not resolutions) is something I have done for years. Interesting that you do not look at them during the year. I so like that you review your goals at the end of the year. I wish you much joy in the year ahead.

ps Circle - is a very special song to me. It was "our song" and was sung at Tom's and my wedding.

Anonymous said...

You and I are on the same wavelength today, Rain. Did you read TUT today? We've both written variations on the message.

Rain Trueax said...

What is TUT, Fran? And I notice that often the vibes go out and many of us are impacted by them each in different ways. It's one of the magical things about life