Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, November 12, 2006

Greenhouse

When we purchased this farm, a few steps from the garage was a small greenhouse. It was very simply built, mostly with windows salvaged from old buildings, some plastic for a roof and potting shelves at both ends of the small room. I would guess it's 5' x 12' but haven't measured it.

The lady who owned the farm before us had been growing a huge red geranium in it-- one of the largest I had ever seen, way too big for her to move. It was like walking into summer to go into that greenhouse the first winter. Unfortunately winter came fiercely that first year. The temperatures plunged below zero and power went out for over a week. The geranium froze as well as many other plants that grow outside most years but can't tolerate those conditions. I was disappointed in the loss of the geranium but continued to use the greenhouse for many years.

Somewhere along the road, maybe when we added on the solarium, I didn't find the greenhouse to be needed. It's not well insulated, costs a fair amount to keep going even in a mild winter, but it has a charm that I missed. This summer I set my mind to using it again. I needed it partly for some of the plants that had summered on the north deck but won't find room in the solarium with my changing its purposes to an art studio. I have some such as the 8 year old bouganvillea that can't survive our winters outside.

When I went to inspect the work that would be required to use the greenhouse again, I was expecting some broken window panes but was amazed to see how hawthorne starts had taken over the whole space including the center of the greenhouse. The parent tree had been destroyed by a winter storm last year, but its roots had (and have) not given up on the idea of starting new trees everywhere.

I wish I had taken pictures before I began as I felt like Jack with the Beanstalk hacking my way into the greenhouse. I had been using it to store some of the dolls my mother had collected which wasn't exactly a great spot. They (porcelain heads, cloth bodies and cute dresses) have since been cleaned up and brought into the toy box for grandkids. Little by little I saw the greenhouse cleared out, the glass panes replaced, and a new roof installed.

Now with November here, the greenhouse is functioning, harboring the geraniums and bouganvilleas and looking ready for winter-- if it doesn't go below zero and lose power (well actually if it does, this year I now have temporary space in the bedroom for these plants.

There is something special about stepping into this old greenhouse partly because it's made up of windows from long discarded homes and whatever else was available for building materials. It's a place not just for wintering plants although that is its purpose. It has a hidden purpose though and that one is providing a secret garden for me in the middle of winter-- a place I can go to water and lightly fertilize the plants but more importantly reconnect with summers past and live for a moment with pieces of summers to come.

14 comments:

robin andrea said...

I love the photographs, rain. They capture the beauty inside that greenhouse. It does look like a lovely secret garden. We have tomatoes and basil in our sunroom. We're trying to see if they will over-winter indoors. So far, so good. It is like a tiny piece of summer.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Beautiful photos Rain. I love the thought of a "secret garden" to go to in the winter. Just what I'd love too. We should have a garden around us ALL year....if possible.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done... Some of your phrasing is nothing short of inspired. We all need that special place where we can escape the noise around us and immerse ourselves in the quiet. You are fortunate to have found yours...

Ingineer66 said...

Looks like a fun project.

Suzann said...

the photos are great - one of the toughest parts of living as far north as I is the long winter and late spring - what a nice thing to have a little "secret garden" in the midst of winter. thanks Rain.

Anonymous said...

Hallo Rain, this is a copy of an email I sent to fellow bloggers, unfortunately the email to your address came back not delivered. So I am posting it here as a comment, hope you don't mind. I know you have a special affinity with animals, please send out some good thoughts to Mister Mao.

"Hallo Everyone, well, I suppose the subject line says it all. Mister Mao went for his afternoon wander last Wednesday and has not returned. He is the sort you can set your watch by. Sat in the kitchen next to his bowl looking devestatingly handsome and appealing, it's either 8am or 6pm and it's time for a meal.

The most difficult thing for me is the not knowing. If I thought he'd found a new home and was safe, comfy and well, I could feel well that's ok. But the thoughts and anxieties that arise from not knowing are, well just awful and hard to bear.

I'm asking if you would join with me in sending out good thoughts to Mister Mao, hoping that a collective effort could possibly help him find his way back to us or help him stay safe. I've posted a photo of Mister Mao on my blog.

www.ainelivia.typepad.com


Thank you."

Anonymous said...

The images you create here of hacking your way into the greenhouse and a secret garden remind me of the Sleeping Beauty and Frances Hodgson Burnetts book, wonderful, hope you find inspiration there in the coming winter.

Anonymous said...

Well I certainly want to add my compliments along with the others on the photos also Rain. They totally capture the essense of a "secret garden" in the making. Truly excellent.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

How wonderful Rain...this greenhouse has such a hitory to it...very excitimg and meaningfull, I would say....And how great that you have resurrected this womderful warm "summer" house....(I would probably move ny bed out there...lol!)

Maya's Granny said...

I love old windows being used again. In some parallel universe, people who used to look out through them can now look in to your greenhouse and be pleased that their windows are still serving a purpose.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

So alive with cheerful feelings, I would paint it if it were mine, but you have photographed it so splendidly.

Anonymous said...

This is exquisite, Rain; I have greenhouse envy. It seems like such a magical, romantic space. I'll have to send a link to my friend Caroly at Never Enough Thyme. Have you read her? I'll send the link.

Anonymous said...

Good pics-I like greenhouses especially old ones. :)

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed your photos and your story.
What a neat place that greenhouse is. Something tells me it has very good energy in there and I can see why you'd want to spend time within those walls.