Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, October 16, 2006

Wave Action


Pretend you are sitting above a cove along the Oregon Coast. You can hear gulls and sea birds crying in the distance. The sound of waves crashes against huge rocks. You draw the salty air deep into your nostrils and let yourself feel the surge of energy from the sea. It surrounds you with the sweetness and regeneration of life

The quotes that follow are ones I have stuck above my desk to read when I most need to remind myself what is important. They each came to me different ways, from blogs, books, friends, to my own search for inspiration.

Each of these wave images can be enlarged if you want to spend an extra moment and think on some of the words.

"What would it be like if you lived each day, each breath, as a work of art in progress. Imagine that you are a masterpiece unfolding each second of every day, a work of art taking form with every breath."
Thomas Crum

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
Anais Nin

"Feel your feelings. Stand out in the rain naked and let the rain wash your soul."
email from a friend

"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a winged bird that cannot fly."
Langston Hughes

"Life and death are of supreme importance. Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost. Each of us should strive to awaken! Take heed-- do not squander your life." Evening Gatha from the Great Mountain Zen Center

"If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it."
Annie Proulx

"Dreams are ncessary to life."
Anais Nin

"Om Namaha Shivaya"
which I got from a friend, who told me the meaning basically meant surrendering to god. I have since read that there are other possible translations but that one suits me as well as any.

"The power of God is within me, the grace of God surrounds me."
from the same friend

And then there another which I don't need to have written down. I used to carry it on a small piece of paper that became very tattered as it went everywhere with me. Now I carry the words in my heart.

"Let my love like sunlight surround you and yet give you illuminated freedom."
Tagore

(These words and pictures from Whale Cove and taken on my birthday have been a bit of a break from the political which will resume next blog, but I believe we always need to keep the big picture in mind. Be alert to what is important in the world but on a personal level, live a life that is true to our souls. It fits one more quote-- Think Globally; Act Locally. And that starts inside our own hearts.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wave a day keeps the doctor away! Oh but I do love waves !

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these wonderful words of wisdom.....Echo

Sandy said...

Thanks for the beautiful pictures and your quotes. I am also a collector of quotes and have the luxury of seeing the ocean every day and I don't take it for granted for one single moment.

Maya's Granny said...

When I was 10, we moved to Puerto Rico. We stayed in a hotel on the beach until my parents found a house to rent. From the bathroom window (floor to ceiling, uncurtained because no one could see in) I could watch the sea battering itself against the rocks below. There was always this incredibly dramatic view, with this wonderful sound. They had to chase me out when someone else had to use the bathroom; I even slept on the floor.

Mary Lou said...

I Love the ocean and crashing waves. We dont get big ones here in the sound, but when we do, I am right there getting sprayed! It is so energizing!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

The ocean sounds and the air is so healing. I am going to make a copy of the quotes and put them up in my studio.

Anonymous said...

I often recite the Buddhist evening prayer. It is taped to the front of all my computers.

Happy, happy birthday! Beautiful ocean photos.

robin andrea said...

Beautiful photos and such wonderful quotes. I love Tagore. I have this old article I found once about a conversation between Tagore and Einstein. It is really something to see those two minds connect.

I can not understand how there can be so many billions of people on earth, and so many are unawakened, asleep, and worse-- actively pursuing destruction and power. Can it be any other way? Will there ever be a time when there are more awakened people than not?