Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Leaving a Message


Each people in their own way
try to leave behind their story.
Sometimes in words--
oral or written.
Sometimes in pictures.

When I see symbols painted
or etched on rock,
I always wonder,
Who stood here before me
chipping at this stone?

What message did they leave?
Who did they expect would see it?
Did a spiritual leader do this while
others prayed or danced?
Was it a secret ritual?
A ceremony by a shaman?
Or an artist depicting their world?

Though their descendents might say
Oh yes, I know what that meant
Do they?
For me, I only know there is a spirit here
as there are in all such places.
Here, one human speaks to another
and across the ages we touch.

I shot my first deer today by the river. Thank you, spirit of the deer, for giving up your body so we may live
Thank you, Great Spirit, for this blessing.


Oh yes, a story is always worth a moment
of our time to consider
as even today we leave our marks.

(These petroglyphs from Signal Hill and Painted Rocks were likely done by the Hohokam people perhaps 700 or so years ago.

The sculptures are part of a series for repeating the steps of Jesus at Painted Rocks Retreat Center directly across the wash from petroglyphs.)

4 comments:

sonia a. mascaro said...

Amazing light and colour.I'm really loving your images and words!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I also enjoy these and remember visiting some of these places. I think it is important to document them because I have some favorites in the Owyhee Canyon, Oregon that have been vandalized. I can't imagine why any one would distroy them.

Anonymous said...

Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?

Anonymous said...

Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?